[Public Beta] Returnil Virtual System 2008

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Coldmoon, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

I would suggest some experimentation to see what you will actually need on a regular basis. If you are editing large files or making changes to folders with large content you may need greater space. When using selective file and folder saving without needing or using the total session commit, then you could use the standard size of the Virtual PArtition as a guide for the size of your cache.

This may be 2 to 3 GBs or so for normal work flow. If you anticipate using the total session commit then the size would need to be appropriate for that purpose.

The total commit feature is in the Advanced settings link (Save all... or drop all (default)... settings). The file and folder commit is accomplished through the File Manager window.

Mike

2. Coldmoon

To all,
    We now have an official product support forum at CCSP:

http://www.castlecops.com/c63-Returnil.html

The opening of the support forums will not change our commitment to the Wilder's community and we will be reading and participating in discussions here as normal.

Mike

3. fce

fce Registered Member

nice job!

thanks for the info.

4. Coldmoon

5. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Got some file corruption on the last version. After rebooting, I noticed the Returnil installer had a generic icon and was no longer executable. Opening a video with Media Player Classic, I noticed it was using default settings so I had a look at the ini and it was mangled at the top:

Code:
    ðÿÿÿlf ¨K 6.0 `ÿÿÿnk  (R—O:È              K ÿÿÿÿ   HÔV è  ÿÿÿÿ ¡                M   x86_microsoft.interop.security.azroles_31bf3856ad364e35_none_b93ed5b18c27e020   ¨ÿÿÿnk  (R—O:È    K         ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ   €'+ è  ÿÿÿÿ  ¡                  6.0     ðÿÿÿlf °K 6.0 hÿÿÿnk  þ<—O:È              K ÿÿÿÿ   ¸ÔV è  ÿÿÿÿ ¡                A   x86_microsoft-windows-main_31bf3856ad364e35_none_71ff831513bfb709       ¨ÿÿÿnk  þ<—O:È    K         ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ   °>+ è  ÿÿÿÿ  ¡                  oY=9
    KeepHistory=0
    DSVidRen=6
    RMVidRen=0
    QTVidRen=2
    APSurfaceUsage=0
    VMRSyncFix=1
    DX9Resizer=1
    AudioRendererType=
    AutoloadAudio=1
    AutoloadSubtitles=1
    EnableWorkerThreadForOpening=1
    I think I might have to restore an image. It's difficult to say what else is damaged.

6. Espresso

I changed the date ahead three months while in Shadow mode and it didn't change back on reboot. Bug?

7. Coldmoon

Hi Espresso,
    Which builds are you reporting? I will assume for the moment that the first quote is in reference to 2.0.0.2621...

We added a correction for an issue that was causing damage on some using Vista but it may have also had some effect on XP in extremely rare cases.

The second question relates directly to the fact that RVS does not clone or virtualize the BIOS as you may have come to expect from using testing products like VMWare. So even if you use RVS with System Protection always on, the date should not be effected.

Mike

8. Espresso

Yes, it was 2621. I downloaded it yesterday just before it was updated.

I'm actually using 2008 Server which, for the most part, is the same as Vista.

9. Coldmoon

New Build Available

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Returnil_Virtual_System_2008_Premium_Edition_Beta_d5841.html

Build 2.0.0.3719

updated

* Close button in the RVS GUI changed to Exit for clarity of use
    * Italian language support

Fixed

* Wrong disk cache and Virtual Partition size limits displayed when installing RVS on systems using FAT32

Improved

* Time to complete disk cache creation during install reduced

Thanks to all who sent in reports, you are making a real difference and we appreciate your efforts.

--
    Kind regards
    Mike

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It is looking excellent!

As a user, it's the minor touches that really do it for me. Simple stuff that tends to get ignored. This is the type of application where it really helps to be able to obtain a quick status update at a glance. It's very obvious now - a color change, plus that little on/off text. It's a small touch, but it matters.

The UI is, as it's always been, light, clean, and readily navigated. A couple minor beta things are shown in the screenshots below - the expected typos/etc that plague us all....

It's running nice and snappy as well. Looking forward to the general release.

Blue

Attached Files:

11. Coldmoon

Hi Blue,
    Both are now fixed in our working internal Beta and will be included in the next release.

Mike

12. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Coldmoon,I installed the BETA and let it set up the cache it wanted ,which was 6537 MB. I tried to defrag the drive using PerfectDisk 8. It just hung up so I had to remove the BETA. Is defragging possible.

13. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I've been using PD to defrag since the beta came out and have seen no issues

14. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Are you attempting to defrag your system partition or the Virtual Partition itself?

Mike

15. duduche

duduche Registered Member

Hello all,

After my different perigrinations in the web, i found Returnil 1.7 since 3 weeks.

I'm very injoy with this tool and have a good appreciation to it and for developers.
    Very simple to use and good protect against "bad" or "inutil" installations.

I try now since 2 days new beta version 2.0.0.3686 and i have 2 questions
    about this:
    Some news, it will only working after a reboot (not easy as last version) ?
    Using 30 days trial now ? (different from v. 1.7)

Thanks, this is an application that all users must have in their little computer :thumb:

16. Coldmoon

Hello duduche,
    The current Beta has been upgraded to 2.0.0.3917 so you should download this and retest.

The System Protection and Session Lock features should work exactly as expected whether using the memory or disk cache methods and as a result will not require a reboot to enter Session Lock. It remains the same however when changing protection MODE to ON, you will need a reboot to make this change.

The new features in 2.0 Premium will not be included in 2.0 Personal (freeware) edition except for quality upgrades for the protection & virtual partition engines and the GUI look and feel.

This is why the Premium beta has a trial period. If you need a testing Serial Number just shoot us a request using our technical support "contact us" link on our website.

Mike

17. duduche

duduche Registered Member

Ok, thanks Mike,

I just saw other posts with details.
    I'll try v.3719 and revert yr website if needed.

:)

18. Coldmoon

New Build Available

Returnil Virtual System 2008 Premium Edition

Build 2.0.0.4058

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Returnil_Virtual_System_2008_Premium_Edition_Beta_d5841.html

New

* Added import, export, and save functions to the File Manager list
    * Added file/folder drag & drop from Windows Explorer to the RVS File Manager Screen
    * Added File Manager function to the tray icon and toolbar pop menu
    * Enabled file copy from real system to the virtual one
    * Added Windows Explorer shell extension to allow right click file commit to disk
    * Allow file commit drag & drop to the toolbar

Updated

* Brazilian Portuguese language support
    * Italian language support

Corrected

* Minor GUI fixes
    * Red border added to file commit confirmation windows for more visability

Thank you to all who sent in feedback!

Mike

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Now this is starting to sound verrrry interesting. Just downloaded.

20. Peter2150

Hi Mike

First result: two nits one big, one small. The small nit is the sizing of both the virtual partition and disk cache. The adjustments are bad. For example the virtual partition defaults at 512Mb. I wanted around 100Mb. Can't type in the number directly. The minus box takes it to 32, the plus key to about 15000. Same with the disk cache.

The big nit, and show stopper. WHen I click on enable, I get an error

df Error 2002:1 Faulure to control the service: Incorrect function

Initial install was with memory mode. So I uninstalled, and reinstalled with Disk Cache. Same result. Had to uninstall.

Pete

21. Coldmoon

Hi Pete,
    Change your partition size to 300 MB and test again. Did this clear the error?

Mike

22. s4u

s4u Registered Member

But he did want it to change to 100mb. So much lower.
    I will join the party as well. I heard some great things about it. Let's see and test

23. Peter2150

HI Mike

Went I couldn't set the virtual partition where I wanted I just selected skip.

Besides I couldn't set it to 300Mb. Only 32 or 15xxx some big number. Couldn't type anything in.

Pete

24. Coldmoon

Pete,
    Per the e-mail, please run a capture with DebugView and send the log.

Thanks
    Mike

25. Peter2150

You should have it now.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.