Web images randomly don't show

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Ade 1, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I saw this problem/bug posted on another thread but can't seem to find it since I began experiencing the same thing.

Since installing the final release 3.0.551.0, I've noticed that random images aren't been shown when I visit websites (none in particular). Sometimes I can visit the same website and see all the images and another time only see some of them. If I right click an image not shown and choose 'show picture' then it shows it fine. I'm using IE7 and have Vista 32-bit installed.

I've been using ESS since Beta 2 came out and never had this problem with that or indeed the RC1 release so it seems to be a bug introduced in the final build.

Hopefully Eset can fix this in the next build. Anyone else having the same problem and if so know of a fix?

Thanks for your help.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please everyone who encounters this problem send a Customer Care request using the integrated submission form. In the description field write the name of the browser you use as well as some examples of websites that do not open correctly.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't have problems with images but with speed of the web protection . If AH is enabled for the web protection , some downloads/exe are much slower . E.g. download Google Talk application from www.google.com/talk

It takes me 16 seconds to be saved on the hard drive after IE7 shows 99% - this is ESS 3.0.551 with web-protection AH enabled
    With AH disabled on web protection with ESS , it takes just 10-11 seconds for it to be saved .

In comparison with NOD32 v2 , in IMON and AMON AH was enabled in both - the download took 6-7 seconds to be saved after IE shows 99% . Perhaps this is because of the scan times/engine or something new in the AH?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This particular setup file was scanned by my ESS in 1 sec. As for Advanced heuristics (AH), it's normal that it takes several seconds to emulate certain files, but this does not seem to be the case. AH is the same in v2 and v3 and it hasn't been updated for about 2 months.

5. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Thanks Marcos. Will do.

6. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

I've had this problem with facebook and ESET.com (ESET.co.uk works fine though). I'll send a submission to Customer Care when I get home tonight.

Steve.

7. kmart9419

kmart9419 Registered Member

This is a real annoying problem. Lots of sites randomly not show the pictures. The picture not shown is different with each refresh. And guess what, the worst culprit is Eset's own homepage. Lots of red x.

Please fix! Never had this problem with any security software. Ever.

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

@Marcos: I send it, but you can have a look yourself too at for instance www.voetbalprimeur.nl, fcupdate.nl and also www.eset.com. All kinds of red X symbols on these three sites. And there are more. I use Internet Explorer 7 by the way.

9. toasale

toasale Registered Member

Click "Internet Options"; click "Privacy" tab; click "Sites" and enter the site's last url domain name then ".com" and click "A"; click "Settings" and enter the site's entire url (minus the http/https://) and click "Add".

This solved my issues +99% of the time.

10. Edwin024

Strange option, for this bug is visible on 9 out of 10 sites... I'm now using Opera and I don't see it there. So it must be the interaction between ESS and IE7

11. kmart9419

After uninstalling smart security, the problem went away. So at least we know for sure its smart security that is causing the problem. Disabling antivirus and spyware as well as the firewall does not fix the problem.

Toasale, your solution is not practical since it occurs on so many sites. Get it together Eset. 75% or more users using ie7. How can such an obvious bug get through the cracks?

I'm regretting my purchase and is considering going back to trend micro.

12. Edwin024

That's a bit too much... I think that now that the final version is out Eset will soon bring out an update to overcome this serious irritating bug. But the program is much better than Trend's. Look at avcomparatives for the results of both packages.

13. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Yes. It's very easy to see it Marco, at www.eset.com. That site has the red "x" problem quite a bit. Half of the top menu options are red x's for me. I use IE7 under Vista(32 bit).

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Actually not that easy on eset.com

The graphic on this page not showing has nothing to do with ESS/EA

The picture is not laoding with NOD32 v2 (too) and with no AV (again)

This screenshot is from a computer with no AV installed (just WF enabled)

Attached Files:

15. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is right but I'm currently at work using ESS on my laptop and I've just realised that I don't have this problem here - it's running XP Pro. Whereas my home PC with this problem is running Vista.

Does anyone else have this problem on XP or is it just Vista users who have it?

16. sponch

sponch Registered Member

same problem here, too! Sent a mail to support. UsingVistra Ultimate (32 &64 bit) with IE7; problem exists with firefox, too.

Sponch

17. Edwin024

The weird thing is that Opera doesn't suffer from this bug. Is ESS not scanning the http thing there? .....

18. PatG

PatG Registered Member

See everything on both sites w/XP Pro SP2.

19. Edwin024

Maybe it's a ESS-Vista thing then. But again: no problems at Opera. So what is ESS doing to make things go wrong in Firefox and IE...

20. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/sjgore/ESS.jpg

The image in the link above shows www.neowin.net on first load (left hand side) and then after refreshing the page (right hand side).

Sometimes, the complete opposite happens. The page will load fine first time, but refreshing the page makes the red crosses appear.

ESS 3.0.551.0 running on Vista Ultimate 32Bit (IE7).

I've now submitted a form to customer care about this.

Steve.

21. kmart9419

Seems to be a Vista issue. My windows xp computer does not have this problem.

22. Edwin024

It's not a Vista issue of course. It's ESS in Vista, so an ESET issue. Without ESS of AV only and another suite no problem at all. Enough proof for me.

23. PaulN

PaulN Registered Member

I installed version 3 just last night and experienced this issue on both Firefox and IE6.
    Just spoke to Eset UK Tech support and they confirmed it is a bug and they're working on it.
    At their suggestion can I ask whether any of you use Outpost Firewall Pro Ver. 4 as I do, maybe that is something to do with it?
    Or are we all on a range of different setups?

24. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

Yes, I just got an e-mail from UK tech support saying that too.

25. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Firstly, good news that they're working on it. Secondly, I use ESS which provides me with everything - no other security apps. I said before - I don't have this problem on my XP laptop only on my Vista PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.