Online Armor Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MikeNash, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thorough

thorough Registered Member

Thanks Mike, I thought admuncher had nothing to do with IE7pro.

Lets see how the next release fairs.

In trust and thanks!

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Excellent!!! :D :D :thumb:

4. thorough

thorough Registered Member

For your info I uninstalled IE7pro and running now with IE7 the iexplore.exe application errors stopped so there was some incompatability between OA free and IE7pro.

This will serve to help its further development I hope (minor but there are some out there that run IE7pro and by the time you make an official version download final we will all in one way or another add our little help!)

Enjoying OA free - GOOD PACKAGE FIREWALL & MORE!
    :D :thumb:

5. Murray Hurps

Murray Hurps Registered Member

Hi guys,

Just a quick note on behalf of the Ad Muncher team to say that we're eager to get to the bottom of this so that Online Armor and Ad Muncher can work together again. They definitely compliment each other well.

At the moment we're flat out working on getting Ad Muncher Vista compatible, and by the sounds of your compatibility page you are probably bogged down with the same issues, but as soon as we have this version in beta testing I'll set up a test system with both OA and AM and try to figure out where things are going astray.

If you have a moment I'd really appreciate a quick private message to let me know who I should contact at OA if I have any questions about the connection interception methods used, though hopefully I won't need to bother you.

I also noticed that you are based in Sydney, once things settle down a bit we should meet up and swap some Vista-porting war stories :D

6. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi Vampiric Crow,

A little off topic but mamutu beta conflicts with ad muncher in the same way

MaB

7. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Murray,

Your post is bang on the nose. We're trying to get out OAFREE, and then on to Vista. I'm the contact guy for OA - I'll take this to PM with you ...

Regarding beer - we're in the CBD and located over a pub !!

Mike

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Mike,

Would it be possible to add a run safer option for unknown programs?

This way it would be really easy for me to unselect "the notity when an unknown program is started" and select "start unknown programs in safer mode". Think of all the PC's where security is the issue of one member of the family and others just click yes/away security notifications.

I like policy sandboxes which are quiet like DefenseWall, because they do not give the monkey behind the PC a choice, programs from untrusted sources are always run with limited rights. I rather have the message: "today I downloaded a program to make a birthday calender of my friend's birthday. When I installed I got an error message". Same effect would be obtained by running unknown programs in safer mode.

Thanks

Kees

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yes, we could do this. As an aside - I used to have it autoconfigure certain programs to run safer... but we stopped doing this when the issues of running with lower rights started popping up at our forums. Now, to run with reduced rights is a deliberate act from the user.

Completely irrelevant to your question, but I didn't want to just reply with "Yes.".

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I didn't know that, and also never tried that program...

11. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Said by MikeNash:
    Stem tested the paid version when it came out and according to him, this option is available in the advanced mode ('under firewall'):
    Said by stem:
    Even though the advanced mode is not available in OA free, will the "intercept loopback" option at least surface in the OA free release?

soccerfan
    PS: Sorry to double post on the TallEmu forums Mike. I'll post my responses here from now on.

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If for some reason the conflict is not resolved would it be possible to incorporate something like adblock plus (auto updates) into Online Armor?

13. Kees1958

Mike,

Thanks, this would be great!

The black and white list option, together with the "do not warn me when a unknown program tries to execute" and "run unknown programs in safer mode" would mean that OA's user friendly Anti Executable HIPS/Software Firewall can run without user interaction. Because they are clearly marked (blue for run safer, grey for to be decided on) in the list you would have to add an extra colour code for this (yellow?).

Now a second question (maybe the paid version already provides it already, then keep it in the paid version).

Would it be possible for OA to recognise most commenly used installer programs? In stead of choosing 'allow' repeatedly for "process X tries to start Y" messages, a surpress option (after a warning) for those legitemate installers would come in handy. Therefore an additional option, run installers in safer mode/with reduced warnings would be fantastic.

The goal of this would be to create a three mode usage of OA
    1. Noob mode (paid version):
    - you would not get messages for unknown programs
    - unknown programs would run in safer mode
    - installation would be in safer mode default (with only one pop-up with warning and option to install with all rights, when previous install did not work)
    - tall emu would collect the programs which needed admin rights to add them to the future black/white list

2. Normal mode (free version):
    - receive warnings for unknown programs, user decides, no option to surpress/run unknown safer
    - tall emu would collect the choice made (to add to black/white list)

3. Advanced mode (paid version):
    - all the options/tweaking on which the expert can blow his mind out

Regards Kees

14. korb

korb Registered Member

i download the free trial from your side v2.0 .or is it the pro version?it did not state which one is the free version.

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

If we can co-operate with the admuncher guys, there is no reason why the conflict will not be resolved. Murray made contact so all will be well... there are beers at stake, after all!

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Free trial from the site is the full version

17. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yes, we will make it available!

18. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I've just had a bottle of nice aussie red. Will have to answer that tomorrow :)

19. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

then it will fail to install the drivers and services. And you will get more job to do in this case (repeat the install with normal rights)

20. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Yay:thumb: Methinks proxo and OA will make a great combo. I'm ready to become a convert:p
    Thank you, kind sir.

soccerfan

21. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi Mike,
    I use Gmail notifier and never had a problem with OA.
    Badcompany.

22. korb

korb Registered Member

i install the version from page one.so far no more keyboard problem.i think w/o the keylogger and web protection it respond more faster then the full version. :) but clicking on links while surfing still freeze the page for few seconds, eg. i open 2 tab in OPERA,while clicking one 1 link at first tab,i go to 2nd tab to surf around while waiting for tab one to load the page.but both page in the 2 tab will just freeze up(no respond abt 10secs)when the tab 1 page finally load up everything back to normal again. i haven't try on IE yet.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  23. fedore

fedore Registered Member

Same here.

24. Kees1958

Korb,

I had the same effects with ThreatFire Pro and GeSWall Pro (without OA V2). I am surprised you had not. On A2 IDS + WinPooch + DefenseWall with OA free, the effect is less.

This is strange while it felt in the past that DefenseWall was just a little bit slower than GeSWall (and ThreatFire was slower than A2 IDS + WinPooch, that is why I mixed my licenses this way).

By the way web browsers still load faster on an Athlon 3400 (1GB) and Athlon 3900 (1,5 GB) running on XP than a Dual Core 3,2 Ghz (with 8800GTS card/4GB RAM) on Vista64 with IE7 V 64.

Regards Kees

25. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hm, seems I need to install Opera :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.