Norton AntiVirus 2008

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ink, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ph2000

ph2000 Registered Member

Differences if he mean NIS (the whole suite) yes - against NOD32 AV.

I'm actually surprised at how quickly my systems comes up with NIS8 - it's the first thing loaded and I keep waiting for more to happen. Remarkably it's been faster loading than with OA2 and NOD32 combo. I don't know why. They're pretty fast. -- I should say that it took a day or two for this to happen. Like it need to get comfy. Same looks to be true on my wifes PC.

The downside is losing some of the fine tuning I love so much in other products.

Paul

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Granted NIS '08 does a lot more things automatically than previous versions. But look at it this way:

In NOD32, Blackspear's settings tell you to set the various modules from "ask me what to do" to automatically clean threats and place copies in quarantine. NIS does this by default and only asks you what to do with low-risk threats (in which you can set to automatically clean).

3. midway40

The only downside I see with NIS '08 is what you referred to on the other thread--lack of info on the updates that are installed. When using Automatic LiveUpdate all you know that something was updated by looking at the update date. If you force a manual update then you know exactly what is being updated.

I wish that they kept a update log like other AV's do.

4. ph2000

ph2000 Registered Member

It seems to like to reboot after some updates - so it's not always silent about it. Still, works pretty well.

5. midway40

Really? I haven't had to reboot after an update since the initial install.

I too am enjoying NIS '08. And to think that this time last year I was a Norton Basher, lol. I am still looking for some "I Heart Norton" t-shirts :D

6. ph2000

ph2000 Registered Member

Maybe my pc just likes to be rebooted.

I've had notification off and on and off - I wonder if it tells you you need a reboot when notification is on and when it is off assumes you will reboot eventually.

7. midway40

On a whim, I did a manual LiveUpdate a while ago and I finally got a reboot message. I am starting to wonder if you only use the Automatic LU you see no messages about rebooting and it just waits until your next reboot to apply these updates.

Have you seen this message a after an Automatic LU?

EDIT: N/M, I didn't read your post correctly. I have my notifications off. It appears that your assumption may be correct about it waiting for the next reboot. I think I will turn my notifications back on and observe for a while.

Attached Files:

8. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Thats my understanding, yes. This is new to 2008.

9. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

Is it still just for WinXP and Vista, and not Windows 2000. I was disappointed that NAV 2007 was not recommended for Windows 2000 OS as I wanted to install it on one machine, rather than change the OS.

10. midway40

Sorry quad, but it does not support 2000.

I ran across a bug with the LU notification setting. I turned it on for a while and decided I didn't like the popups. I unchecked the "notify me" and clicked on apply but afterwards I still was getting the popups. I had to reinstall to get rid of the notifications.

11. ph2000

ph2000 Registered Member

>> I ran across a bug with the LU notification setting.

This didn't happen with me. It just went back to normal.
    I've since reimaged and reinstalled Norton, so I can't check again.
    Seems like everything has some bug waiting to happen.

Paul

12. midway40

After I uninstalled NIS I rebooted and was going to uninstall LiveUpdate when I noticed the popup again even though there wasn't nothing on the computer to update, lol.

I just thought now maybe if I went into the LiveUpdate setting in Control Panel there may have been a switch in there (since apparently NIS had nothing to do with the setting other than presenting it's option). I will look into that tonight when I get home from work.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

mine is updating fine. It has really improved and does a lot more then most standard antivirus products. Didnt need the suite but the AV is really nice. Plus IBK said their malware detection has improved dramatically as we will see later this year. Good product for the money.

14. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I have played with a few on the desktop, have learned to remove update 1st other wise have to use the removal tool to get it , for some reason when you go to remove it regularly the option is gone, or at least on my machines it's been that way...

15. midway40

Larry, that goes to show you how different machines react to the same software. Ever since I begin using Norton I have been able to uninstall LU after uninstalling NIS. I do go one step further though, I also run NRT after I uninstall both. It will be a while before I have to reinstall again (I hope, lol).

trjam, I like the fact that the Add-Ons are a separate install. All I need is a AV/AS/FW combo and this fits the bill. I don't have much use for anti-spam, parental control, etc. The other two suites I used in the past few years, TMIS and FSIS, didn't give you much choice. Trend only gave you the option of not installing the firewall and F-Secure of not installing the parental control.

Also I have to agree with the improvement of NIS's malware detection. Since I installed it last March SuperAntiSpyware hasn't had much to do except clean a few cookies. It is probably bored from having to do such menial work, lol.

16. larryb52

I tested 2007 version & that unistalled both entries but the 08 is different , as suites so Kis, FSIS, Norton are all at the top & for me spam is not needed so I don't miss it in Norton & I disable it in the other 2, Norton for some reason boots quicker than the other 2 on the new machine (vista) but vista is a bit of a slow boot (IMO) anyway...

17. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Is NIS 2008 like 360? In 360 there is no right click context menu scanning, and the AV does all sorts of automatic scans in the background.

18. midway40

360 is kind of like NIS, System Works, and Save and Restore all rolled up into one with a simplified interface. I had not tried it myself mainly because I don't really need the extras as I have other progs for those purposes. As a lot of reviews I read state that it would be good for your mother or grandmother because of ease of use.

NIS does have the right-click scanning context menu. NIS '08 did receive some of 360's traits as far as cleaning and quarantining medium to high threats it finds without user interaction. I don't find this intrusive as you can tell by my post #77 in this thread. About automatic scanning, there is only two instances where this happens--the scheduled scanning you set and a "quick scan" that is performed after a LiveUpdate which can be disabled. I leave mine on because I don't find it annoying. In fact I was playing Call of Duty 2 one evening and afterwards I looked into NIS's log and noticed that a quick scan was performed during game play. I didn't even notice it and wouldn't known about it if it wasn't for the logs, lol.

Larry, my Vista does boot up slower than XP as well. Since I didn't start using Norton until after I got Vista it is hard for me to gauge boot up time differences. It appears to be a little faster bootup than '07 though.

19. larryb52

Yea I just decided to stick with Norton for my new machine (laptop vista), it just works & doesn't interfer with my games (baseball football simulations)...Kis I have but it locked one game up & I can't have that & FSIS was good but Norton seems to be easier on the system. I also trialed AVG but Norton detection won out. I tried all equally just it seems IMHO that Norton has done a lot of good things here & tho I like multiple updates, I know that Norton has good over protection for zero day outbreaks. On boots I boot in about 3 minutes, I think that's good...I'm pleased

20. Diablo2

Diablo2 Registered Member

I just noticed this the other day on my Norton Internet Security 2008.

This surely must be two false positive detection.. anyone else noticed this?

Attached Files:

21. larryb52

they all dial out to check for updates but I have no problem with my logitech mouse but than the wireless mouse ran fine with out the software & my old theory is if it's not broke don't fix it so I never install the setpoint software. But I know it regualarly checks for updates so your results don't surprise me. I'd put them in exclusions so they aren't blocked going forward...

22. midway40

To be honest, I wasn't sure what this screen was for. All I knew it had to do with "online transactions" and nothing has ever showed up in there for me.

Now I understand what it implies. It is just letting you know that it suspects what appears to be a keylogger and screen capture programs that are maliciously used to collect info like credit card or bank info (online transactions). In your case though there are no problems as these are legit programs obviously. As Larry said, you can unblock these programs.

Thanks for another Norton lesson :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  23. Diablo2

I chatted with their support and they said that noone else had reported this problem and that I should exclude them and then I asked if they were going update the signatures with this and they said yes but I'm not sure if they understood what I meant but I guess time will tell.

I think I know why noone has reported this problem yet it must be because 'Crimeware Protection' under 'Transaction Security' isn't enabled by default.

24. midway40

Yeah, I noticed that about the Crimeware setting back during the beta. I do not know why it is off by default. The settings I turned on was this one, the Turn on Advanced Mode in suspicious activity monitoring, turned on Office document scanning, and load Auto-Protect at startup (which could add to the boot up time, I guess).

25. Diablo2

I've searched the net and Symantec support to explain this but no luck:

Symantec Network Security Intermediate Filter Driver

I've been trying to figure out what the different part do and this one
    hasn't been there in previous versions of Nis as I've seen.
    Maybe someone here can shed some light on what it does? :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.