Prevx update fails & license Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rico, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello,
    PrevxAgent wanted to update, Prevx had an error (sorry missed it) but it was during the agents attempt to update.

Next reboot & manual update, it got to 'gathering info' stage, then the green ball went away & did not come back

Next reboot & try again this time with many tray items OFF, then update Prevx, no luck, got to gathering info stage again , green ball gone & does not appear.

Next dbl click Prevx from start menu, now orange ball with yellow triangle + glahing envelope.

Next I'm advised that license needs renewal, an Prevx is not fully functional.

My license: Note I acquired the license on March 28, 2007 & installed & registered it on April 7, 2007.

Please advise.

Thanks
    Rico

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I re-entered my license & chose activiate. Everything is/was fine.

Next reboot & try to update Prevx when Prevx gathers information, it shutsdown, does not restart, reboot & license problems. I then re-activated it.

I see Prevx 2.0 v1.02 build 85.

Thanks
    Rico

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think you probably need to troubleshoot it with the Prevx guys on their forum, that might be your best bet. There's no way of telling what's going on without a lot more details and specifics.. Could be any number of things...

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:If you have no firm confidence in build 85, you can upgrade it to build 86. The update is available thru majorgeeks website. I have a virtual run-time error during window shutdown(this error occurs in build 62, not 82 but again in 85, and now is gone in 86, strange). Good luck.

5. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Is your runtime error on shutdown with XP?

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I wouldnt recommend their forum if you want fast response. Go for the support button in Prevx2 upload your specs/log to them to avoid unnecessary questions from them.. My experience was that they answered very quickly and even on weekends.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Biscuit: Yes, Windows XP sp2 all patches up to date. Why do you ask?

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I asked just in case it had started happening on Vista too! :blink: The runtime error happens with Prevx2 on every XP computer I've installed it on. It looks like something we have to put up with. :doubt:

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

CastleCops filling up with similar issues as we speak
    Similar probs for me :doubt:
    Not the first time either.

Usual solution seems to be;
    Save license:
    uninstall with Px removal tool: http://info.prevx.com/removaltool.asp
    Reinstall new version.

I think the server may have been o'loaded with the new update for one thing, but there is obviously another issue :cautious:

Agree +++

Waiting waiting waiting ;)

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I downladed the 2.0 removal tool ran it in safe mode, then reboot & try to install Prevx3 bld. 86, when I tried to run the new Prevx, choices were 'repair or uninstall' repair failed "windows cannopt find c:\progra~1\prevx2\support\drivers\xp\pxdrvinstall.exe. Ok reboot & try the install again this time instead of repair, I chose uninstall whic gave the same error previously mentioned, but completed prompted for a reboot, try the install & all went smooth. I now have Prevx2.0 1.02 build 86.

Thanks & Take Care
    Rico

11. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Well, having the same problems as everyone else w/the updating. Had two quick emails from support early this morning and neither suggestion worked. Now I am w/o Prevx altogether because of a faulty uninstall/reinstall. Have tried everything that folks here said worked for them but not successful for me. Have sent 3 emails to support asking for advice, but no word yet. Methinks this update was released WAY to soon. :mad:

12. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Hi,
    I had been having numerous problems trying to install and run Prevx2 and was just about to give up on it when I found this post:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=178949
    I checked for the folder concerned and there was only two of the required three files inside, I deleted them and then removed the folder. There was another of the folders ghiser 1 listed below it and that one contained all three of the required files. After having removed the corrupted folder Prevx2 installed straight away without any problems and has been trouble free ever since. I too had the runtime error but that has now gone as well. Might not be the answer to all the problems mentioned above but well worth trying.
    Ian

13. Longboard

14. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

The following may help some users with updater woes.

1. Make a note of your Prevx license key as you'll need to reenter it after this process.
    2. Run a command prompt (Start->Run. Enter cmd.exe)
    3. in the command prompt, enter the following:
    cd %temp%
    cd Prevx2Update
    UPDATEPrevx2.msi
    4. In the resulting Installer dialog choose: Repair
    Answer Yes to any security prompt from Prevx 2.0
    Enter your license key at the activation screen
    5. Start Prevx 2.0 and let it perform its on-install Fast Scan.

Regards,

Darren

15. Longboard

Ah, the man with the answers. :)

Despite intermittent implementation issues: I still like the Px strategy and there is usually a quick response to issues.
    Tremendous pace of development.
    I'll keep it atm.

thanks ghiser1.

16. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

Ghiser1,

I've been experiencing the update issue Rico has & also have the virtual run-time error at Windows shutdown that Perman mentions.

Thank you for providing a solution to remedy these, but it's not working for me. After step 4, I click the Prevx desktop icon which brings up the green icon in the task tray.

The "on-install Fast Scan" in step 5 never happens. When I click update, the process repeats--apparently build 85 is still present--& Prevx disables itself once again.

I repeat the steps with the same outcome & the PC also froze! I've never experienced any difficulty with Prevx--I didn't connect the error at shutdown to it until reading this thread.

Please advice me. I too have received email from support to no avail. As always, I'm grateful for Wilders.

Michele

BTW My C:\WINDOWS\WinSyS folder contains all 3 files Dark Star refers to. :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  17. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Received an email from Support today saying that they are aware of the problem and there should be a new software update in DAYS to correct the error. Be glad when I get it. Got mine repaired and running, just wouldn't let me insert license key, so running in "trial" mode.

18. LaFemmeMichele

This just arrived.

Hi,

We have just released a new version that should resolve your problems.
    Please do the following:

1. Shutdown Prevx 2.0 by right clicking on the Prevx Console icon and choosing Shutdown.
    2. Download and run from http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=PINNACLE

Let us know if you still have any issues.

Regards,

Prevx support

It gave me "Internal Error 2753 PXConsole.exe17"! Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michele

19. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Hi Michele,

Can you send in a support call and upload c:\windows\px_install.log so we can see what happened.
    Any other security products running at the time?
    What platform are you running?
    Also, can you check that you don't have any other instances of pxconsole.exe running in other logins (switched user sessions for example).

Darren

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  20. LaFemmeMichele

Hello Ghiser,

I did it! It's on & behaving normally. I ran the removal tool & regedited & at first it only partially installed--something about a driver--so again I removed & regedited & installed. XP & NOD on.
    Thank you for your speedy response, Ghiser. I'm so happy! I was afraid I'd have to go Prevxless!

Michele

I have the feeling I deleted c:\windows\px_install.log. I'll send whatever I find! :)

21. LaFemmeMichele

Ghiser!

Prevx just auto updated & "Internal Error 2753" has returned. I wonder if the log you had me send shed any light? I've heard nothing from support.

Thanks for your time.

Michele

22. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Hi Michele,

I assigned your support call to our MSI installer team to look into. I'll see where it's at.

Darren

23. LaFemmeMichele

Ghiser Darren,

As per your request, I've re e mailed that log directly to you. Thank you for your assistance. :)

Michele

24. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Got it and passed it on to our MSI guys.

25. Longboard

Just fyi: at the last 1/2 hour of the "100 hrs" update roll out lag my build86 did the auto-update thingy and relaunched as 1.0.2 build112.
    Looking good so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.