Is this a good deal for a $529 computer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am not thrilled to buy an HP but this one looked like a good deal even though it is a refurb. But I am not sure whether it's a good deal or not. Would anyone have any insight? Shipping comes out to about $15 so that is good. Will Vista run in this well? I am not a big time gamer or anything but just looking for a computer that that has speed and memory and will not be severely outdated in a year or two.

Here's the link-

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5290307

Thanks

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

If I didn't already have a new computer, I'd be thinking about it. Lots of memory, more HD than I'd use in a dozen years. Looks like it's decked out with just about everything you could ask for, except for Vista (not my first, or second choice) but that's a personal choice.

3. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Vista will run...Probably not well unless you tweak the crap out of it. You may want to call and find the motherboard used to make sure you can expand later on. In a couple years...I would imagine it'd be close to obsolete. As far as I remember, HP, Dell, and Gateway lock their systems, making upgrades pretty much impossible.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

The deal seemed good until I read this
    I woulden't buy it. If something happens after 3 months you will have to buy a new one!

5. eniqmah

For $500, you're getting a decent PC. You can't really expect to get much warranty for that type of spec when it is refurbished. In fact, I don't think I've seen refurbished systems with much of a warranty.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I think its a good PC and it should run Vista but I dont know about Aero Glass.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    The only thing missing is dedicated video ram.
    But since you are not a gamer, that's more that enough for normal use.
    I wouldn't Vista if I were you, but that's just my not so humble opinion.
    Mrk

8. acr1965

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's been my experience with H/P..
    Obsolete Motherboard in a cheaper package.

10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I purchased a few refurb PC products and they all have brief warranty periods. Used never is the same as new, but I haven't had any issues with the refurbs though. :thumb:

11. acr1965

Here are the motherboard specs-

Motherboard
    Manufacturer: Asus
    Motherboard Name: A8M2N-LA
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: NodusM3-GL8E

I have no idea whether it will be obsolete in a couple years or not. Anybody know or want to hazard a guess?

12. WSFuser

You may be able to put in a newer socket AM2+ or AM3 processor into the motherboard, not entirely sure.

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  14. eniqmah

This board is AM2. It Will be able to support AMD's upcoming Phenom Processors, given that Asus will update the bios and such - which is likely to happen.
    The graphic card is not enough to support Vista and/or heavy gaming, but the board looks like it allows the addition of a dedicated card. The RAM is also expandable to 4GB + upgradable to faster RAM. That's a pretty decent forward -looking computer for $500. Just call HP and ask if they locked the BIOS or not... If they did, none of the above matters.

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hi All,
    Pretty technical stuff and I have made additions to my old Compaq. So I am not beyond educating I hope. :oops: What is meant by locked system. It looks like later a reference was made to the bios by enigmah being locked. Why would a PC maker do this? Expandability with me would be a great selling point. Just me I guess? :(

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would check out the dell vospro.
    link
    it will mean you get a brand new pc with a intel core duo processer and windows xp home rather than vista.
    plus you will get a warrenty.
    and best of all no junk installed.
    it has an intel motherboard.
    lodore

17. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I second what lodore said. The Vostro line at Dell has some incredible deals right now - no junk installed.

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Yes expandability is a desired trait to look for in a PC system, but the manufacturer is not concerned with that. They just want you to keep buying more of their products (just like MS). :D ;) :shifty:

19. acr1965

As suggested, I did some shopping at Dell. I found an ok deal on a Vostro but I think a little better one with Inspirion-

Dell Inspiron 530 Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6550 (4MB L2 Cache,2.33GHz,1333 FSB)
    Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
    Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
    Keyboard and Mouse Bundles Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
    Monitor 22 inch E228WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel E228WFP
    Video Cards Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 IV
    Hard Drives 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ 250S
    Floppy Drive and Media Reader 13 in 1 Media Card Reader MCR13
    Mouse Mouse included with Keyboard purchase N
    Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet IN
    Modem and Wireless 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
    Optical Drive 16X DVD+/-RW Drive 16DVDRW
    Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio IS
    Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) N
    Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD
    Security Software No Security Subscription (30-day trial)
    Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support
    Internet Access Service No ISP requested
    Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
    Dell Digital Entertainment No Entertainment software pre-installed
    Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
    DataSafe Online Backup Free 3GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1 Year

Total comes to $669 with free shipping ($350 off). Add tax and is still just below $700. What do you all think? XP Pro is not available with this. It is with Vostro but only a 19" monitor and a little more expensive. I plan to buy a couple more GB's of memory from Frys.com or somewhere like that.

20. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

This is a very good deal. :thumb:
    Take the one with 22'' monitor and Vista.

ps. I am one of those who "hate" Vista. But I do not think it is wise to buy a new computer with XP, a smalller monitor and pay more o_O . (Unless you have devices that are not Vista compatible)

21. WSFuser

It seems good except it only has 1GB. Vista will run, but 2GB is definitely better.

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The HP in question is a very well equipped computer and it will run vista without any problems Aeroglass or not. I am running a Compaq with an AMD sempron 64/2 3200+ with 1241 megs of ram and it runs Vista Home Premium perfectly even with Aero glass graphics. And later if you wish a bigger video card it shouldn't be any problem at all. You would be getting a lot of computer for the money.

23. acr1965

Well I gave into impulse and pulled the trigger on the Dell Vista deal. Plus I grabbed a couple gigs of memory on sale at Circuit City. I guess we'll see how things go. Now, off to make a post about what security software to use in Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.