Norton Antibot

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AshG, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can u post a screenshot of the popup?

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

or maybe...........

norton antibot, same thing right?

but then again, cyberhawk is free

antibot.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Re: Is http scanning (WebGuard) necessary?

i must say, while we are on the topic of HIPS and http scanners etc....

i think norton are being a big rip off with this antibot, its not even in the suite.

image kaspersky suite without the PDM, yet a seperate program at a different price, surely people would be disgusted.

:thumbd:

4. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Actually, I wouldn't be. I don't see the need to feel disgusted just because a vendor doesn't throw everything and the kitchen sink into a package for me. Not to mention that, never having used Antibot, I have no idea how effective it is compared to the Kaspersky PDM or ThreatFire - who knows, it might be well worth its price.

While I don't have enough knowledge to provide a definitive answer either, I'd just like to ask this one question: has ANYONE ever been infected or otherwise had their security compromised because their antivirus product did not include a HTTP scanner?

5. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi All,

I have doen a search on the forum and seen the PC magazines review of Antibot but just wondered are any users currently using it?

Has it much of an impact on system resources? Also anyone had personal experience of how effective it is?

I currently use Sandboxie is clicking on a supect ecard link (so I can scan attachment and forward on to AV Vendors that don't detect) and Bitdefender IS 2008.

Would Norton Antibot be a good back up protecton if I made a mistake and some malware slipped though??

Cheers

Jlo

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes JLO (?)

That would give you extra protection, because it uses an intelligent set of rules, which do both the analysis and the correction for you.

Before you buy, you might try a free application called ThreatFire free. This is also an intellgent behavioral blocker, with one difference. It gives you a warning with an explanation, when a program performs suspicious behaviour. With the color code, you will get an idea of the risk level. It is still up to you whether you allow the or block that program (once or permanently by remembering your choice).

You can also try Norton Antibot for a limited period for free. There is big chance you won't notice it operating (when nothing strange occurs). So I would suggest you try ThreatFire free first.

Your Antivirus, plus ThreatFire/Antobot and Sandboxie will provide a good defense. ThreatFire or Norton Antibot will warn you when you make a mistake (so called shoot in the foot errors of the PC users).

Regards Kees

7. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Thanks very much for the advice. Much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Jlo

8. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

9. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I've tried both ThreatFire 3.0.4.0 and Norton AntiBot during the last week. I find by far AntiBot lighter on my system (no slow downs at all). I've only had one pop-up and only when trying to install a DVD burning software. I've also had no updates for AntiBot during the last week. Wonder how often it updates?

With ThreatFire I had a noticeable lag in booting up and shutting down, though surfing seemed not affected (plays nice with AntiVir but not Kav).

10. CogitoErgoSum

11. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Thanks for the replies again.

I downloaded a trial version of Antibot and have to say runs really light. I like what I see so far.

Thanks

Jlo

12. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

What I dont like about resources is that when its active there are 4 processes running!!

KIS with AV & FW has only 2

Attached Files:

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, there are 4 processes running here using approximately 30mb ram, but my current attitude about that is, who cares how much ram something uses as long as you've got ram to use, and performance is good. Performance seems fine here, the GUI is slightly sluggish though, but that's kinda typical of some Norton products. Seems pretty nice, I just wish there were more specific details available somewhere on what exactly is protected. Their web site lists a few things but not much detail... but I will try it out for a while and see how it goes.. I am wondering if it is as good as something like ThreatFire...

14. CogitoErgoSum

Hello Kerodo,

Since Norton AntiBot is basically a rebranded Primary Response SafeConnect that monitors an additional six behaviors, if you have not yet done so, please take a look at the links that I posted in post #7 of this thread as they are highly relevent.

Hope this helps.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

15. Trespasser

Two processes running here:

NABMonitor.exe=620 Kbs

and...

NortonAntiBot.exe=588 Kbs

Running Vista (don't know if that makes any difference). I also have Windows Firewall with Advanced Security blocking all outgoing connections except for what I want to go through (had a little trouble setting up Windows Updates but finally figured it out).

Have a good day, everyone.

16. CogitoErgoSum

For comparison purposes, in contrast with Norton AntiBot, in WinXP SP2 Primary Response SafeConnect has three running processes.

SanaSafeConnectWatcher.exe: Private Bytes - 508K; Working Set - 1700K

SanaAgent.exe: Private Bytes - 14092K; Working Set - 14900K

SanaSafeConnect.exe: Private Bytes - 8532K; Working Set - 15304

Total Private Bytes - 23132K
    Total Working Set - 31904K

Depending on the circumstances, total typical memory usage will range anywhere from 20-30Mb.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks, I just now noticed the links in your previous post. I will have a look..

Edit: To correct my above post, ram usage settled down to approx 23mb after running for a half hour or so...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  18. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

How much does it cost for the 2 year subscription as shown? Does it have a discount for multi-year subscriptions?

Thanks.

19. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I am showing four processes in Vista Ultimate:

NABAgent.exe----------6400K
    NortonAnitBot.exe-------392K
    NABMonitor.exe---------672K
    NABWatcher.exe--------104K

Since I had some money left in my security fund I decided to get NAB last week to give me some extra heuristic protection.

20. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am a bit curious why you bought it if you think it is a ripp off?

21. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Hi Kerodo, don't want to upset you, but how can you find it nice if you don't know what exactly it protects?

22. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

For me, lack of bugs and/or obvious problems makes it nice.. That's hard to come by with most of these security apps...

24. CogitoErgoSum

Hello lu_chin,

The only thing that I know regarding NAB is that it costs $29.99 for a yearly subscription. In contrast, PRSC costs $29.95 for a yearly, $39.95 for two years and $49.95 for a three year subscription. For a 20% discount promo code to purchase NAB, please take a look at the following link.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=184463&highlight=antibot

Hope this helps.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

25. Trespasser

Correction on my part:

NABAgent.exe=6292 Kbs
    NABMonitor.exe=584 Kbs
    NABWatcher.exe=372 Kbs
    NortonAntiBot.exe=608 Kbs

I had to click on "Show processes for all users" to bring up the missing processes.

Sorry about that. :D .

Later....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.