ESS Beta2 Error on Update-0x3fff

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by KaneComputing, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dansx6

dansx6 Registered Member

Hi,
    I just found this site. Same error here. I am using Vista ult. x64 and Beta 2. It stopped updating 9/4 as best I can tell. I also ran a repair install and the error message changed from "Undocumented severe error (0x3fff)" to the "Base File Missing" error. I wasn't able to get it to update properly so I did an uninstall/reinstall. When I finished I couldn't get the update to work at all. The one thing I didn't do was clean out the registry for the beta keys.

2. crummock

crummock Registered Member

Just an update....

on one of my problem Vista machines I copied the C:\ProgramData\Eset\Eset SmartSecurity\Updfiles folder and all the C:\Program Files\Eset\Eset Smart Security\em*.dat files from a working XP machine and rebooted.

This got me a working version of ESS that was at definition release 2510. That was last night.

This morning the machine has correctly updated to 2511 with no problem.

Maybe the problem is corruption in one of these files ?

I';ve still got one non-updated Vista machine that I'm not applying this fix to until I see if ESET can fix it from there side or need more tests to help them fix it.

3. osip

osip Registered Member

I even went back to sd2497 and again the same...Because I can go back in time to previous databases, i.e from 2505-to 2497 and then not able to update back to 2505 I have the impression that this has to be on ESET´s end...In the meantime, until this is fixed, I uninstalled ESS in one snapshot and installed Avira premium suite with a 3 month trial key...When the issue is cleared I will for sure return...

4. deputy963

deputy963 Registered Member

The problem appears to have been corrected.

I manually initiated an update, which resulted in a 7mb download. Nothing changed, so I rebooted. Problem fixed!

The download did not correct the splash screen issue, just the update issue.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  5. MenosOcho

MenosOcho Registered Member

Hi,

I've got the same problem:
    Undocumented severe error (0x3fff)
    Last successful update: 2007-09-04
    Version of Virus signature database: 2505 (20070904)

I rebooted and i tried to do the update manually, nothing fix it.

Regards,
    Martin
    Vista Ultimate x64

6. trial and error

trial and error Registered Member

First off I'm a content three year user of NOD32. I run XPx64 and it was nice to find a beta that would install.
    Any rant here is meant to be constructive for the people at Eset.

I think this is a firewall issue.

The "Undocumented Severe Error 0x3fff" with ESS b2 on my XPx64 rig is because the firewall will not allow me to connect to get the updates.
    If you look in your firewall logs you will see this too.

The firewall doesn't allow you to easily right click and edit allow/deny, in/out/both like the pre-Sunbelt KPF did. (That is a suggestion)

Even when I made specific rules for each prompt for both ways it would not allow the connection. Interactive mode isn't up to snuff anyway. When I switched out of interactive to "regular" firewall mode it won't allow it either.

Turning the firewall off doesn't help at all.

I uninstalled it and cleared the registry and prefetch of Eset, egui and ekrn. Then reinstalled with a legitimate user name and password for my NOD32. Four different times with different initial configurations.

After September 4th it was impossible to update the virus definitions.

I'll watch out for the next release and try again then maybe.

7. osip

osip Registered Member

Yes, in interactive mode...but, if the same occurs in the regular mode it means that the firewall has a problem with it´s own server...

8. trial and error

Not only that, but it started after the update I received on Sept 4th. Then regardless of how I configured or disabled the firewall I get this error. I hope Eset can figure this out. First heard of ESS a long time ago. When it's finally ready for prime time I will buy it, despite the candy _ss psychedelic colors.

9. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

Want a good laugh over this. I tried to do device driver updates on my motherboard. The garbage that I got from MSI (my last MSI hardware) screwed up my system so bad that I ended up having to do a repair installation on my operating system just to get it to boot. After I finally got my system back the last thing that was still giving me a lot of trouble was the ESS update issue. I thought it had to be caused by the driver update fiasco. I've been sitting in front of this #$%^^&* computer since last night trying to get it to work right. Then I finally decided to try checking it out on this forum. It wasn't my computer, it was ESET. Boy do I feel stupid.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Those who have Windows XP/Vista 64-bit can download a fix from here. You may need to restart the computer for the fix to take effect.

11. fosius

fosius Registered Member

What about XP 32-bit?:)

12. crummock

Hi,

I assume you mean to run the hot_fix in the C:\Program Files\Eset\Eset Smart Security directory as that is where the files are that need replacing ?

Worth mentioning that if you have Vista with UAC enable it is neccessary to 'run as administrator' for it to replace the faulty files.

Having said all that I can confirm that it has fixed my Vista 64 machine without reboot.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am unable to use ESS/EA betas but I would like to know does this update problem is valid for ESET Smart Security only or it affects Eset Antivirus , too .

The fix should be valid for ESS only because of the directory it is in:

14. Mercury_22

Mercury_22 Registered Member

I can confirm that it affects Eset Antivirus too ! but the fix has solved the error (on vista x64)

15. Mercury_22

You DON'T have to run the fix in C:\Program Files\Eset\Eset Smart Security directory !!! :cool:

16. crummock

I did for it to work.,

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Thanks! :thumb:

18. Mercury_22

i run it from drive d: and it work so...:thumb:

19. stueycaster

The Hotfix didn't work for me. :'( I tried everything I could think of. I'm on XP x64. My system may still be messed up from my recent driver update problems. It seems to be working good otherwise though.

20. MenosOcho

MenosOcho Registered Member

Thank you!

It's working now :D

21. osip

osip Registered Member

I can imagine a h*ll of activity in eset´s cellars...An almost full working beta with a sudden major issue...Waitin´ for the solution for 32-bit which I´m sure will be seen in soon...Don´t give up guy´s...I will for sure return...

22. VIPOR1

VIPOR1 Registered Member

Thank you, the fix worked for me.

23. dansx6

dansx6 Registered Member

The fix didn't work here either (I am using the AV beta). I tried everything but I am still getting the base file error message. Any other ideas?

Vista Ultimate x64

24. stueycaster

I put my ESET Username and Password in and it fixed it :D :thumb: . I hope it stays fixed. If it doesn't you will be the first to know.

25. trial and error

:D THANK YOU Marcos!
    I did not put my own username in and let the beta do it's thing. I did have to hit the update link three times to jump start it, but it updates. Funny -- the interactive allow/deny window is popping up for me now, and not just to recognize the "new network" . Opening my mail and two program updaters I had to click for each to proceed. That's the way I expect it to act.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.