Problems with ATI and MS Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Paul0521, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul0521

Paul0521 Registered Member

Hi all,

I was hoping that you could help me with some problems regarding what I think are conflicts between ATI Home 10 and Microsoft VSS.

I have 3 machines, all running Vista (two are running 32 bit, one is running 64). On all three, I was able to do backups using the built in Vista utility and SyncBackup SE.

Recently however, both the Vista utility and Syncbackup started failing - I would get an error on both applications something along the lines of:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Catastrophic failure 0x800FFFF."

I did a seach on the error, and found that there seem to be some known conflicts between the ATI scheduler and VSS. That makes sense, because my other backup programs seem to stop working at around the time that I setup a schedule in ATI.

A few questions:

- Is there indeed a conflict between these two programs?

- If so, how do I fix it?

- When I searched this site, I saw a lot on fixing issues between ATI Server and VSS, not much on the Home version. Would I be better off if I upgraded to the server version.

Thanks for your help,

Paul

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Paul0521,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that the only known issue with Acronis True Image using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service does not affect functionality. It's described in details in this post. Moreover, Acronis True Image 10.0 Home does not use Microsoft VSS service in any way; the abovementioned issue only may appear when using corporate versions of Acronis True Image.

Please be aware that such message may indicate problems with your system (particularly, the hard drive).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. Paul0521

Marat,

Thanks for the response - I will go back and do a bit more investigation on my system. The fact that ATI 10 doesn't use VSS at all helps me rule some things out.

Does ATI 10 use the Microsoft Scheduler?

There still seems to be some sort of interaction between ATI and my system, but I can't yet put my finger on it. I can reset the Microsoft Scheduler and VSS on my system, and Syncback and Vista Backup run fine. However, once Acronis runs a scheduled task, then I seem to be getting errors with Sycnback or Vista backup.

At this point I am not seeing a VSS error - It is simply that my other scheduled tasks stop running after an ATI profile runs. I need to go back to the event log to determine what is failing at this point.

Thanks for your help,
    Paul

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Paul:

Is it the resource transaction manager that is failing? Have a look at this thread. This problem drove me crazy until user mwang posted a workaround that is working fine for me.

5. Paul0521

Wow, thanks for the post - I can't check the error logs on my computer until this evening, but the problem that you describe sounds remarkably like the one that I have been seeing - I will check when I get home.

So if I read this correctly, the work around would be to create a Page file on each partition on my system?

That's an easy fix, if that's the case.

Thanks - I'll let you know if that worked after I tried it.

Paul

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Paul:

That's what worked for me. I have two partitions on my Vista machine so I simply split the paging file up to occupy the same amount of space but split between the two partitions. Haven't had a single NTFS Error 137 occur since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.