Problems With ESS Beta 2 & Superantispyware

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by thezzapper, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thezzapper

thezzapper Registered Member

Anyone else seeing this?

With Superantispyware already installed, ESS Beta 2 will not install correctly. I receive an error with real-time file system protection. The error is that it is only partially installed. i get the BSOD, & pc will not boot up completely. It hangs on the ESET splash screen despite numrous shutdowns & reboots. I did a system restore & deleted ESS Beta 2 & Superantispyware. Upon reinstalling ESS Beta 2 (& not reinstalling Superantispyware,) all works fine.

2. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Did you try this more than once? If SUPERAntiSpyware was blocking something, it would notify you with the real-time protection.

3. thezzapper

I reinstalled SAS after reinstalling ESS. My pc booted fine once after the SAS reinstall, then after that the ESS splashscreen would not go away on boot up. The pc freezes on boot up, & the only possible recovery is a system reinstall prior to installing SAS. There must be some sort of conflict.

Is anyone else using Superantispyware with ESS Beta2? I am using Vista Home Premium.

4. thezzapper

This was my second attempt to run both programs simutaneously.

5. thezzapper

Btw, running both programs simultaneously, kills my internet comnnection at startup.

6. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

SAS free running OK with ESS beta 2 on my Win XP SP2

7. crummock

crummock Registered Member

I have virtually identical symptoms at startup on one machine I've installed ESS eta 2 on.

It's a 32 Bit Vista Ultimate Machine but as far as I can remember it's never had SuperAntiSpyWare on it.

I've found that if I leave the machine with teh ESS splash showing for over 5 minutes it eventually moves on. During that 5 min wait there is no network and teh machine appears to be frozen.

This is a new problem with Beta 2. The machine had Beta 1b on it until Beta2 was installed.

I've removed and reinstalled Beta 2 three times now. Each time all is well until the first reboot after loading it.

8. mayt

mayt Eset Staff Account

This might be caused by a corrupted WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) database. Please follow these steps:

1. Use the Start menu to right-click My Computer.

2. Press the Manage item.

3. Double-click Services and Applications in the left-hand pane.

4. Press Services to expand it.

5. Scroll to Windows Management Instrumentation in the right-hand pane and right-click it.

6. Press Stop.

7. Use Windows Explorer to delete all the files in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.

8. Shutdown and restart your computer. The Windows Management Instrumentation service will start and the files will be re-created.

9. If ESS Splash Screen shows for a long time, reset the computer again.

10. Let us know the result.

9. Vendetta

Vendetta Registered Member

Well, I'm also using SAS and ESS Beta 2. I have no problems with this combination, even if both real time protections are enabled. I'm using Win XP SP2.
    I had SAS installed before I installed ESS and there is no malfunction so far.

10. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Try disabling automatic updates via the ESS scheduler and see if you continue to have problems.

11. crummock

crummock Registered Member

Hi,

tried the WMI idea. Made no difference at all so I've done some more investigation.

The hang on startup was being caused by one particular Oracle service that is failing to start. It seems to cause everything else to wait for approx 4 minutes while it is trying to start.

Now I fully accept that ESS is not the faulting application here but with ESS 1b there was no hang but there is with ESS Beta2 so it must be doing something differently in a way that causes the hang.

The problem with Oracle existed while ESS 1b was in use but it obviously handled the issue differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.