PC Security Shield

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The number of Kaspersky clones just keeps growing bigger. PC Security Shield recently launched Security Shield 2007, which is a rebranded F-Secure, and The Shield Deluxe, which is a rebranded KAV 6. The KAV rebrand has File AV, Mail AV, Web AV and also Proactive Defense. :D

The Shield AV Deluxe costs $39.99 for a 1 year license (which is almost the same as KAV anyway), and Security Shield 2007 costs $59.99 (with $20 mail-in rebate). The Shield Pro and The Shield AntiVirus (non-deluxe) are rebrands of Hauri, so ignore them.

If anyone wants to check it out, the site is here:

ht tp://www.pcsecurityshield.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Have they changed their tune?

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

3. alant

alant Registered Member

Hi all. I just signed up for Security Shield 2007. I'm paying month-to-month. From what I have read, it looked to me like this security is as good as the big name security software. Is this true? Has anyone had any experience using Security Shield 2007? Let me know if I am falsely relying on this to keep me secure.
    Thanks, Alan

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  5. Firecat

PC Security Shield is powered by F-Secure or Kaspersky (depending on the product) and also sold by some major ISPs in my country. I don't think even the shadiest ISP would sell ROGUE software along with their internet connection schemes....:doubt:

6. TairikuOkami

Do you have any link, where it is said, that it uses KAV's or F-Secure's engine, I could not find any? Its webpage is still listed as the rogue product and it advertises fake products like The Shield Pro, which was listed on the Softpedia, but it never got 100% clean award, maybe because its questionable reliability?

7. Firecat

Well, at least this page claims that the Security Shield 2007 product is a rebranded F-Secure:

http://www.pcsecurityshield.com/PP/dspSecurityShield.aspx

They claim to use Hauri Virobot technology in TheShield AV and TheShield Pro products:

http://www.pcsecurityshield.com/PP/dspTheShield.aspx
    http://www.pcsecurityshield.com/PP/dspTheShieldPro.aspx

And also they mention using the Kaspersky engine for TheShield Deluxe edition:

http://www.pcsecurityshield.com/PP/dspShieldDeluxe.aspx

So, rogue product or no, the protection is still there. :doubt:

Of course, it is not necessary that just because a product uses a good engine, it isn't a rogue product. For example we have VirusHunter which uses a rebranded BitDefender but the outfit behind the product has been known to produce spyware....

8. TairikuOkami

EDIT: You are right, anyway there are much more better alternatives, so I do not care about this one, but I would not recommend it for sure.

Well, I have just found this info: "The Shield Deluxe 2007, powered by Kaspersky" on techrepublic and its screen looks like AVS, interesting. [​IMG]
    That is quite interesting, I allways considered this to be a rogue soft. Well in this case should not they contact anti-rogue webpage to remove them?
    If they do not contact it, maybe they do not know about it or they know about it, but they do not do it, because maybe they are rogue soft after all?
    I do not know this soft and since the purpose of the anti-rogue web is to prevent installing rogue soft, I will trust them, since they know more than I do.

9. alant

alant Registered Member

I now see a lot of bad along with some good. I'm a little confused. What is rogue? What sites can tell me if it's rogue? Also, is there some kind of test I can run against my pc to see if this security is working or not?
    thanks

10. alant

alant Registered Member

Thanks everyone. You convinced me that I made a mistake. I'm going to uninstall it. Should I anticipate any problems with getting it un-installed? If I do, can you reccomend a good uninstaller application? One other thing, What thoughts does anyone have on PC-cillin Internet Security 2007? I was thinking of trying that instead. Any insight would be appreciated.
    Thanks again, Alan

11. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Why not just try the original? KIS7;)

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I'm with you, Sjoeii.:thumb: :thumb:

Regards,
    Jerry

13. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

Well they could also be using the names of known quality anti-malware to lure unsuspecting users
    o_O

14. Firecat

If that happens then they would not escape Kaspersky or Hauri's lawyers. Like I said, it is not necessary that just because some product uses a reputed AV engine, it automatically becomes a legitimate, trustworthy product. :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  15. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

Do you have evidences that this are not true?

16. Firecat

Security Shield 2007 is a direct rebrand of F-Secure. I doubt they had enough technical expertise to get the F-Secure engine to product a few FPs....

Again, rebranded F-Secure and Kaspersky product....

Maybe, I have heard of this. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.