Disable antivir notifier?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rawwr, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawwr

rawwr Registered Member

2. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

By switching to Avast! ;):p

Im not sure you can disable it. I have it installed on my little sister's PC, and i couldnt figure it out.

3. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

You are getting a top class AV for free so just pressing OK on the notifier window is not much hasstle.

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hope that will solve your annoying problem. ;)

5. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

If you stop the process that does that from running the update process doesn't work. If I recall correctly, it's been a while.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  6. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Let me know if this works, and the auto update still functions properly.

Thanks

7. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Erm, yes? This "only" Ok is so friggin annyoing i just can't stand it and i'd rather use some other AV that doesn't do that even if it's detection is total crap.

9. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

This is the instructions I used a long time ago. Reboot into safe mode and log onto Administrator. From there go to Programs and click to go inside. Once there find the Avira folder. Open it and find 'avnotify.exe' and right clicked on it. Select Properties. Next select the Security tab at the top. Then at the bottom left of that window, select Advanced. Then under the Permissions tab in that window you will see permissions for 4 users, one of them is System, another Administrator, another Power User and one general User. For each of these users, one at a time click on View/Edit. In that window the first item is Traverse Folder / Execute File. Check the Deny box for that item and then Ok. Again do this for each user. Then when done with each user, finally click the Apply button on the bottom right of the Permissions window. A warning pops up and asks if you're sure etc. say ok or yes, whatever the case is, and that's it. Close everything and your done. Reboot and if it works like it did a year ago your good. It's easier done than said, but you could just use Avast like another poster recommended.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Agreed :thumb:

@rawwr: take a look here

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

12. rawwr

rawwr Registered Member

Actually, it is a hassle considering there are other FREE solutions offering the same level of service; I just happened to choose this one because one review on the web recommended it (antivir probably paid them off for the #1 spot, wouldn't surprise me after seeing this annoying ad in my face :rolleyes: ).

I don't think I'll be renaming files or overriding files or whatever to fix this.

I'll just grab AVG.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

14. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Windows XP Home and Pro:

1. Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after you restart the computer)
    2. Log in using the Administrator account
    3. Go to C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
    4. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security-> advanced
    5. Under the Permissions folder you will see all of the users. Start with the first user….
    6. Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> ok
    7. Now perform step 6 for all of the other users-> apply-> yes/ok-> close all open windows
    8. Reboot the computer into Normal Mode (start-> shutdown-> restart)

Windows XP Pro only:

1. Start-> Control Panel
    2. Administrative tools-> Local security policy
    3. Click on Software Restriction Policy-> Action (at the top)-> create new restriction policies
    4. Right-click additional rules (on the right side)-> new path rule
    5. Click Browse and navigate to c:\program files\Antivir\ and double-click avnotify.exe-> set the security level to Disallowed-> apply-> ok

Windows 2000:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
    3. Expand User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then expand System.
    4. In the right pane, double-click Don't run specified Windows applications.
    5. Click Enabled, and then click Show.
    6. Click Add, and then type the executable file name of the program that you want to restrict users from running. (For example, type avnotify.exe)
    7. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK (NOTE: If domain-level policy settings are defined, they may override this local policy setting.)
    8. Quit Group Policy Object Editor.
    9. Restart the computer.

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The splash screen is to induce you to switch to the paid version. ;)

I wonder if the Windows OS system flooded your desktop with splash screens on boot up, how many would dump it and use something else? :rolleyes:

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm aware of Premium version after 1 update popup. I decided for a Free version with a reason and i don't want another 5000 popups to remind me about Premium version.:rolleyes:

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Personally, I wouldnt ever want to disable anything about Antivir. If anything, I wish I could enable more.:)

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Well they are probably following the same strategy like those car ads on TV. You keep seeing the same ad OVER and OVER again for the same vehicle. (hey didn't they just show the same ad just a few minutes ago?) If they bombard you a million times, maybe you will finally surrender your $$$$. ;)

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Just put the updater into invisible mode. I didn't much mind the ads but then I got a six month trial of the Premium version. No more ad, but I got really tired of seeing the updater popup once every hour (I have it set to update every hour). So, I put the display into invisible mode and now I don't see anything. If I forget to periodically check the GUI to make sure updates were successful, I will be notified after the time I have specified for unsuccessful updating attempts. So, seems to me this is a non issue unless the free version can't be put in invisible mode and while I didn't do it with the free version I don't know why you couldn't. You may need to make a new job to put it in invisible mode but you probably already have a new job as few want the standard only once every 24 hours update.

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

We already saw that they will not disable the ads on the free version, so if you want to use it, just disable them or use it like it is.

If you don't like it, even if you can disable them, just use another AV.

Easy, is not?

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, easy... I liked AntiVir best, but I refuse to use it for 2 reasons, one, the nag screen on the free version on updates, and two, the problems with the update servers when major updates come out. No thanks... I'd rather use Avast, or even AVG instead...

22. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

It wouldn't be so bad if it was maybe once a week, but having it pop up on every update gets old real quick.

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't have problems with that... :)

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Just run the freebie HIPS DSA then use Process Detection module to quarantine avnotify.exe (as shown) & POOF! -- it's done with. Plus you get doggone good HIPS protection as well.

(NOTE- As shown by the screenshot, I have also quarantined Antivir's avguard because I normally use AntiVir on-demand only.)

Attached Files:

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Is there any tool to just block programs from excuting and which is compatible with Vista?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.