Prevx 2 - Compatability with other security software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gren, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Have you updated to Prevx 2.0 v1.0.2 Build 53?

2. jvillas

jvillas Registered Member

Hi, I updated yesterday without difficulty. My security set-up is quite minimal. XP MCE. Prevx2, AOL AV,and windows firewall. Sorry I can not be of much help. Running Prevx in ABC mode. If it becomes necessary to reinstall here is a link.

http://www.castlecops.com/t152708-Reinstalling_Prevx2_0.html

3. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I use ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.362.000, Antivir PersonalEdition Premium (current version) and Sandboxie in realtime. I uninstalled Spy Sweeper w/out the antivirus before I installed Prevx 2. I ended up with a BSOD when I did a clean install of the latest version of ZA Pro.

I decided to reformat my computer and I installed my current 3 security programs before Prevx again ... Seems like it is doing better so far.

I'm just curious if anyone else is using the paid or free versions of ZA(and/or with Spy Sweeper) with Prevx? Success or bad luck with them? I have four months left of Spy Sweeper, but I would think it would be overkill to add it with everything else on here! :D I'm not too happy with SS because it takes forever to load up and shut down. :mad: I heard that the latest version of SS doesn't play nice with ZA.

4. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Yep, latest version (7.1.07:cool:. Runnning Vista so it needed to be.

Just an aside. Despite clicking to update manually a few times I'm still on Prevx build 47 (not 53). Anyone else having this issue?

In response to Spotscubs1272, I'm running ZA free with Prevx2. No problems after around 2 weeks of having both. Did have Spysweeper on my PC a few months back (in XP at the time) but took it off after a few hours - incompatible with my setup. Got lots of freezes. Didn't explore further as it was a trial. Now use SpywareBlaster/CounterSpy and a few on demand scanners.

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Thanks Gren. I usually run Prevx without a FW, but I liked using older versions of ZA Free in the past that didn't have some of the problems the newer versions did. Does this version come with Mail Frontier?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  6. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

After installing Prevx 2 and running my XP with a limited user account I have been getting too many promps after Avira Antivir PE has updated for the need to reboot my computer for the changes to be affecting.

Avira's search engine is 5th of july. All I see are updates to antivirus DB and should not cause any need for a reboot o_O

Running Prevx with Expert mode and before installing it never had this need for a reboot ever!

Jarmo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2007
  7. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I don't use Prevx any more so don't check this section very often.

If Prevx appears to be running ok, then I'd leave it alone.

8. Niels

Niels Registered Member

You can check if the service is running by doing this go to start,run,at the run dialog box type services.msc press enter. Prevx Agent doubleclick on it the start up type should be automatic. See also if you see started.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm not having a problem updating (currently running Prevx 2.0 v1.0.2 Build 53 after manual update), but I have a couple shot-in-the-dark suggestions.

First, review Preferences in the Prevx Console. Do you have Automatic Updates disabled? You might try manual updating with Auto disabled. It would seem like a user should be able to update either way, but maybe not. Maybe Auto needs to be disabled in order to manual.

Second, in the Prevx Console, Check for Updates appears in two places. You could try both in case one is working and the other isn't.

HTH

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Another thought, though you've probably already looked into it, is firewall settings. I run ZAP and usually make all applications ask for internet access. I finally did allow PXAgent and PXConsole to have access without asking. Perhaps your firewall is blocking the updates?

11. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Thanks for the replies Page42 but still having no luck. I've tried all 3 (one extra if you right click on the tray icon) both with and without the auto update option ticked. I normally have it ticked as per how it came installed.

I run ZA free at the moment (using Vista HP so don't want to pay until there is more choice and ZAP isn't available yet) and have checked the rules : both Prevx Agent and Prevx Console are allowed access to trusted and internet without asking but are blocked from server. Have tried with server access and it makes no difference.

I click the update option it seems to connect to the server (green bars scroll along screen) but I then get the message that there are no updates and I have the most recent version.

No big deal as everything works well but like to resolve these things

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It would definitely bother me. Curious to know if you have contacted Support? I started a ticket last Friday and have not received a reply. Perhaps they don't work weekends. Maybe they are inundated with support requests. They should anticipate that happening when they run free license promotions.

13. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

After reading a few posts above I thought to myself as a parrot, but I'll say it anyways, even if there are no conflicts if you run 2 of the same type of programs designed to do the same thing some times not always the ability of the program to catch certain stuff gets impeded by the other and vise-versa not always the case where one misses the other will catch as some of you may think. So just cause a program plays well with another doesnt necessarily mean that the other is not messing with the others ability to do its job effectively. Sometimes system calls and the way a program hooks into the kernel may overlap and create problems in the areas of detection and not necessarily causing any BSODs. Thats why I guess the playing with different program combos is fun for me when figuring out different security program combos as I do Real Life Infecting of my box. :D

14. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

Yeah, this is what I'm currently running. Same message.

15. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

Yup. Start up type is automatic, and it says that it's started.

Peculiar, huh? I've yet to see any pop-ups from PrevX, regardless of which mode I've got it in. If I attempt to monitor a program, or run the event monitor, again, I don't see any messages or pop-ups or anything in the logs.

But it says Status: good.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I removed Prevx2.0 from my computers tonight. I was beginning to see instability that wasn't there prior to installing Prevx. Mostly this involved hanging and lock up, but also a pxconsole.exe error on boot up and degrees of unresponsiveness that were plainly Prevx-related.

I really wanted to like this program, but clearly there were problems that couldn't be ignored, and they have all vanished since uninstalling the software.

17. Gren

Gren Registered Member

I've not contacted support but the 2 times I have done over the past month have both been answered within 24hrs. Maybe it is, as you say, a weekend thing.

Not sure how long Prevx will last on my PC as I'm also experiencing some unresponsiveness (FireFox takes around 20 seconds to load up - to a blank page) and the odd 'hanging' episode. Have taken COClean off but that does not seem to have made much difference. May try without this one.

If I had not got the free license it would be off my PC in another 5 days or so anyway. Trial running out. Hopefully the free key will still be valid if I choose to re-install.

18. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I noticed that Prevx 2 has another update (Prevx 2.0 Beta 1.0.2 build 56), but I did a manual update and I'm still at build 1.0.2.53. It said my build was up to date. I have a free license from the Giveaway of the Day site.

19. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Hi,

Releases are always made for new installations first - as the installer is much simpler. The updater has to handle all previous build versions and so takes longer to clear QA.

The following versions are currently available:

Windows XP/2000/2003:
    New Installs: 1.0.2 build 56
    Updates: 1.0.2 build 53

Windows Vista:
    New Installs 1.0.2 build 47
    Updates: 1.0.2 build 47

Sometimes an updater for a build will fail QA even though it passed for new installations. For this reason, some updates may be skipped.

1.0.2 build 57 is in QA now.

20. Gren

Gren Registered Member

Aha! Hence why I'm on build 47. I'm on Vista!

The Prevx website though makes no distinction between XP and Vista builds on its release notes page. That's why I got confused.

21. muf

muf Registered Member

Been using Prevx for nearly a year. Had to remove it yesterday. These last two builds have played havoc on my pc. Kept freezing up my browser. Couldn't close the frozen browser, not even by task manager. Was crashing Explorer.exe. I also found that sometimes when opening my browser, after clicking in the search box on Google my pc just locked up. Had to switch off at the mains then back on to get back in windows. This occured with IE or Firefox. I also found that if i left my pc running unattended then came back to it after say 2 hours then prevx was sucking up over 800mb of VM. Holy crap! talk about overly excessive disk swapping access with no memory left to run anything. A quick reboot solved it, but it would happen again. Uninstalled Prevx and everything works like a charm again. Trying Drivesentry at the moment. Feel like i've been used as a Prevx beta tester!

muf

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I really wanted to like it too, but had to remove it a few days ago mostly because it was doing something weird with my browsing, slowing it down, taking sometimes several seconds to load a site, much more so than usual. Once removed, the problem disappears, so it was Prevx. As much as it seemed like a nice solution, I just can't handle the browsing problem... so it's gone for now...

23. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Why does AMON have to be disabled and how does one go about to disable it properly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.