Smart Security crash at startup!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Arrombador, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tantalos

Tantalos Registered Member

I'm getting a message about insufficient rights when trying to reinstall.

I've disabled UAC for Vista, so I don't think that's the cause of the problem.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't have experience with Vista , but have you tried to right click on the installer and choose "Run as Administrator"

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The thread was first started almost 6 hours ago . These are the official ESET forums and they are being monitored by ESET staff .

4. Tantalos

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough - mea culpa - I meant uninstall. Often, you are given the advice to use "run as administrator", but in the case of uninstalling, there's no .exe to run as admin, unfortunately.

Thanks for the lightning fast help, btw.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am afraid I don't know exact fix . I mean , the above error indicated problem in installation (probably) . I have s few things in my mind but would prefer not to guess

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  6. Tantalos

I'll just sit one out and wait for the powers that be to send out a fix of sorts. Can't be long before they do.

7. ugly

ugly Registered Member

All those guessing and supposing ....:blink: o_O
    We must wait for the official declaration.:gack: :isay:

8. osip

osip Registered Member

As said in other topic FIXED with latest update...Reverted with EazFix snapshot after tremendeous problems and uninstall malfunction...For the record my error was "error connecting with kernel" and the following nag:
    http://www.zshare.net/image/254959327062d2/

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  9. bubbleflubber

bubbleflubber Registered Member

Guys, Osip is right.... according to my software, anyway. You need to do a fresh install (re-download the setup file).

Once installed, do a manual update. (The latest update was sometime mid-afternoon, July 3 EST.)

I kept trying to "manually" update the program, and it caught a new update around that time. Ever since, no problems whatsoever with startup and kernel problem.

10. chacalcwb

chacalcwb Registered Member

Not only exactly the same thing happened here (XP sp2 fully update), but after a crash I lost all my user account configuration

My current problems are:

1) I cannot uninstall ESS because it says I do not have administrator rights (but my I use a administrator account).

2) I cannot unistall ESS in safe mode because the uninstaller does not run.

3) I lost all my XP admin account personal settings (we have three user accounts here). (the desktop, the ms office appears as it were just installed)

How do I fix it and how do I recover my account settings?

Thanks.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Try System Restore in Windows XP

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and restore to a state before all your problems started (e.g. yesterday)

12. Capone

Capone Registered Member

it is still old time signature

Attached Files:

13. osip

osip Registered Member

well,this kind of situation tells only one thing:when going for a beta test make sure you can revert to a stable situation,if you´re equipped whith that option no need to uninstall,just revert and make the update and all is as before...

14. spiritfly

spiritfly Registered Member

Ok, I've disabled the ESET service, uninstalled ESS, rebooted, cleaned up the registry with TuneUp Utilities(not sure if this did something useful but..) and did a new fresh install of the ESS v. b1. I've updated it to the latest update and guess what happened after reboot? This time not only that it crashed, but I didn't have internet connection. Not sure why was that, so I've uninstalled ESS, rebooted again and after I've read what happened to chacalcwb I guess I will be waiting for an official solution about this like the rest of you guys(I hope you sort this out chacalcwb). Well I don't know what this is all about, but it definitely has something to do with the latest update which was today.

Here is a screen of the second attempt:
    http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8773/esetbug3ja4.th.jpg

The welcome screen just stood there and beneath it was the "Cannot connect to kernel" box.

Come on ESET do something about it, quickly! Being online and without AV/firewall? I feel like being butt-naked in 2 a.m. in a New York city gettho :ninja:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  15. chacalcwb

chacalcwb Registered Member

Thank you very much! I was able to recover the old settings.

Now I will download the latest update.

Thanks again.

16. toyBoy

toyBoy Registered Member

Hi,

it's kind of good to know I wasn't the only one with (exactly) the same problem as described in this thread. ;) I have vista 32 bit, home basic. While I'm a big fan of eset, I'm not going to re-install the 'fixed' new beta. It was just too scary trying to remove the crapped out one. :blink:

Thankfully, as described here, it eventually did uninstall. My procedure was almost identical as described in this thread except;
    I ran 'MSCONFIG' as well as administative services, to cut down any instances of the eset program or startup services.

While it was working it was peachy, but here is my 2 cents;
    when it was working normally, there was no right click menu (or shell intergration). so i couldn't right click on a file, such as a downloaded zip or rar, and give it a quick scan. also before my eset install crapped out it stated the firewall configuration could not be found. any way thats it ..... cheers.

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome !

18. Tantalos

[deleted]

Managed to delete the program.

19. Arrombador

Arrombador Registered Member

well, it was a bad update only, after new update, the program is running fine again :D

20. florre

florre Registered Member

no need to uninstall ESS to fix the startup crash!!!

1. go to your ESS program directory
    2. delete (or move) em*.dat
    3. start ESS from start menu (I got an error regarding my firewall configuration not being loaded... ignore that! ESS GUI should load...
    4. restore the previously deleteted (or moved) files from trashbin
    5. perform virus signature update
    6. Voila!!! Enjoy ESS without the need to uninstall!

21. appster

appster Registered Member

I have also experienced various Beta 1b startup lockups/crashes on both WinXP and Win2K3. For the moment, the suggestions above seems to have solved the problem but even so, startups are much slower than with Beta 1a. :doubt:

22. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

This is noted very well in the Beta FAQ's and all through this forum, shell integration is NOT being initiated until Beta 2, so there will be no right click scan options until then.

Dave

23. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Weird...this very problem just popped up for me as well, a week of Beta 1b working well and just as I'm reading of everyone elses crash issues....mine crashes...
    Ok, you guys caused it somehow didn't you..like, mind control or something right! Cause mine was just fine until you guys started all this and now....CRASH!!
    ;-)

Seriously now tho, my updates are current (2379 2007/07/04) so if the issue was supposedly fixed thru an update, it's not fixed. And beside..that's not ProgramUpdates, thats only AV Signature Updates.

Anyway, I'll see what happens tomorrow on reboot cause it's way too late to do anything now.

24. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Just a thought...my ESS crash occured immediately after my Vista system rebooted from installing MS Updates, I think it may have something to do with that, so I'll test and see if I can confirm that tomorrow...err..later Today I mean.

Does anyone else remember if your crashes occurred after you applied updates from MS?

25. duca bianco

duca bianco Registered Member

ESS now goes perfectly!!:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.