Deep Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by jdjudy, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdjudy

jdjudy Registered Member

I am thinking about changing my security setup. I use KIS with only the firewall active, FD-ISR (Frozen) and PowerShadow on-demand. I am considering dumping the above for a DeepFreeze/Jetico combo. I was wondering what people's experiance with the two software are. I have trialed both and found that they both act as advertised. I was also wondering how DeepFreeze faired against the Killdisk virus.

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I do not see any problem w/ your current setup. Unless, of course due to these: FD-ISR's frozen snapshot takes a bit more disk space and time consuming, while PS is not currently supported by developer(but by a feet of good friends in here). Deedfeeze home does similar task as PS does, a restoration app, not a security program per se, it may not able to stop killdisk virus, however it can reverse any damages done by this virus by rebooting back to the way was. I see you have AE, which is an excellent whitelist app, a must to keep. I would activate KIS's av application. According to survey, KIS is the most effective Internet security suite your money can buy. As to jetico f.w. I believe there are some difficulties in configurations. You have top-notched security apps on hand, just learn how to maximize their powers. In all, DeepFreeze, AE, KIS , will not fail you at all. Good luck.

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Is killdisk a virus? I thought it was a disk tool.

regards,

-rich

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Rmus: You are right. I am a bit sidetracked.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

There is also an infection, called killdisk......., which destroys the C-drive completely. Peter did a few test with this infection, a VERY NASTY one. Even his Recovery CD didn't work anymore.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: In this case, a lot of questions are needed to be answered. Anyone?

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I just confirmed with Peter2150 about the killdisk virus, and asked him to test Deep Freeze:

@jdjudy - in its present form, this virus is an executable, which your Anti-Executable would prevent from running in the first place.

regards,

-rich

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Rmus: Has peter mentioned about FDISR's fate of surviving Killdisk virus? His report of attack such as small window with some Chinese writing does remind me of the problems I have a while ago w/ FDISR snapshot. Thanks.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thats what got me interested in this in the first place. FDISR has no mechanism to protect itself. I believe it was Aigle, that first tested it(guys forgive me if I am wrong about who) against FDISR, and it did fail. I don't see any reason why the newer version would be any different.

Pete

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Pete: Thanks so much. Now one of my biggest puzzles has been solved. Do you remember a while back, I stated that the only reason I did not continue using FD-ISR is that my working snapshot got some sort of trojan attack. I saw few small windows with weird Chinese writing popping up during reboot, when I clicked OK, all system files went crazy, all posting memory errors. Refreshing from another backup snapshot also failed. I have no other choice but reinstall from scratch. What a lesson to learn. Peter, thanks again.

11. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Deep freeze is also probably vulnerable to what took down my computer in full powershadow mode: Hp recovery and management console software install will most likely mess up deepfreeze. It broke through both powershadow AND FDISR and invaded other snapshots. Someone brave here want to test it out under deep freeze and report back?

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Again, the lesson is imaging. Once the partition is repaired you can just restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.