Comodo And Windows Security Center

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Graystoke, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I just reinstalled Comodo firewall today. I've been checking out other firewalls, so it's been a couple of months since I last ran Comodo. All the firewalls that I've tried have been completely removed.

After installing Comodo firewall, Windows Security Center says that Outpost firewall is turned off. To get rid of the icon in the taskbar, I turned off the Security Center monitoring. Why doesn't Comodo show up in Windows Security Center? Everything seems ok with my subscription and license type, which shows Lifetime and Full. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Comodo?

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

This is a common problem. This worked for me on a XP home computer.

"In control panel click on Administrative Tools, then Services, from the list of services find Windows Management Instrumentation right click mouse and from dropdown list and stop the service.

Find folder C:\windows\system32\wbem, inside this folder identify the repository folder and delete ONLY this folder (the repository folder) from your computer.

In Administrative Tools find Windows Management Instrumentation service again, and re-start the service by right clicking mouse and pressing start from dropdown list. Restarting this service re-builds the repository folder database on your computer, which should now only contain information about your currently installed antivirus & firewall programs.

To reset the Windows Security Centre you must re-boot your computer."

3. Quill

Quill Registered Member

Innerpeace is right. If Outpost wasn't completely removed it will still show n the repository.

One thing, maybe I'm being dumb, but if your using a different firewall, other than the built in thing, why don't you just disable the security centre. It's pretty useless.

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Some FW check your repos.folder for other FW's & before you can install "NEW" you must get rid of "old"...

5. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

"why don't you just disable the security centre. It's pretty useless."

That's what I did.

7. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hello. I got an answer in the Comodo forum. It's reply #5 written by "panic".

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2479.msg19751.html#msg19751

It's a script file that clears the security center. The zip file is at the bottom of the post. It did the trick. Outpost is no longer listed in the security center.

I never thought about disabling the security center, because I never had a problem with it until this happened. Maybe I'll disable it now.

Thanks to everyone who offered their help.

8. fce

fce Registered Member

that procedure doesn't work with vista.

i followed that kind of procedure at kaspersky forum but never inform me that it doesnt work with vista!

as a penalty i shipped to nod32 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.