can't connect to net using Beta version: 2.06b2

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by BrainWarp, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I am using cable behind a router.Cannot connect to net using Beta version: 2.06b2 .I have to reinstall my nvidia network drivers everytime after uninstalling look-n-stop just to connect to net.Pain in the rear.

Version 2.05.2 does work though.Works great.

Not sure whats up with the latest beta drivers on my rig

2. BrainWarp

I have had this license sense early 2004 and have always liked LNS.But sense i cannot get the latest version to work with my computer i am returning to my on board firewall.Nvidia 4 ActiveArmor firewall that seems to do a great job,but uses more resources.

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Could you give more information about "Cannot connect to net" ?
    Was it only when Look 'n' Stop is started, or also Look 'n' Stop just installed but not running ?
    If it was just when Look 'n' Stop is started, the problem is probably just a configuration issue.
    If it was with just the installation, the problem is a conflict between network drivers (however there is no fundamental changes between the 2.05p3 and the 2.06b2 that would explain such a conflict with only the new version).

Thanks,

Frederic

4. BrainWarp

It probuly is a config problem,but i have no connection right after install .Not sure what it is ,but for now i have gone back to the nvidia 4 firewall.

5. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I had the exact same problem. (I actually thought I replied to this post but something must've happened). I have gone back to the Vista FW. It was always something to to with the nVidia Networking Controllers. When trying different solutions, I thought I had it sorted by disabling Win Defender, but after a couple of days it happened again (always after a reboot). If a solution is found please let me know. I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem.

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

To go further, I need the answer to the question above.

Does the problem appear if Look 'n' Stop is installed but not running ?
    If the answer is Yes, the problem is probably a driver conflict issue (more difficult to solve).
    If the answer is No, the problem is probably just a configuration issue in Look 'n' Stop settings (normally not difficult to solve).

7. BuzzStone

I'll re-install LnS and let you know what I get.

8. BuzzStone

Just thought I'd let you know that I uninstalled LnS once more. It is slow to load at start-up, and it uses up to 80Mb of ram at times. I never did get to the point of it being the nVidia Networking Controllers again, but since it was so slow to load, I would have to diagnose and repair the connection. I would get: renew IP address automatically (which worked), remove malfunctioning networking component, or make sure your internet protocols are correct. This happened all the time. It may be just my computer set-up, but I am no longer going to mess with it. I will give the final release a go to see what happens, but for my situation I don't hold out much hope.

9. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

It looks like it is a real conflict between drivers. However I've a computer also using a nVidia Network Controllers, and it works properly under Vista and XP, so it is not systematic and there is probably another thing interacting.
    Do you mean the computer is slow to start, or are you talking about Look 'n' Stop slow to load ?
    How do you see the 80Mb usage: is it attached to Look 'n' Stop application/process ? Did you look at Look 'n' Stop log when this happens ?

Thanks for this information.

Unfortunately, so far, there will be nothing really different in the final release so this problem will probably remains :(

I think the problem is not the same as BrainWarp's one, because BrainWarp was saying the 2.05 was working fine. I understand also you are not using the same version of windows.

Frederic

10. BuzzStone

I am using Vista HP 32-bit. When I say slow, what I mean is that it takes the dual computer icon on the task bar that shows your internet connection, a long period of time to turn blue indicating that you are connected. Most times I have to do a Windows diagnose and repair. In the fall/winter when I was trialling various firewalls (XP Pro), LnS 2.05 worked flawlessly. I switched to Vista shortly after it came out. I check Task Manager frequently for memory usage and had never seen LnS use that much memory ever, with XP. When I look on Task Manager only one process under LnS would show. With Vista I have used the drivers that came with it and also the nVidia 65.55 to no avail. As a matter of fact, since I have seen such high memory usage with LnS coupled with the fact that Vista says there is a networking driver issue, I'm beginning to think that maybe my ethernet adapter on my motherboard is somehow malfunctioning. I have a Motorola cable modem hooked directly to my computer.

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

12. BuzzStone

Yes I did Frederic, but that was premature. For the record, it sometimes will work fine (either drivers) even after reboots (which I do frequently for whatever reason), then all of a sudden after a reboot it goes back to the situation I have discribed. At the time you are referring to, it worked great for several days, maybe a week or so and I thought I had things sorted but then back to square one. It seems that I am the only one experiencing this particular problem. I also would like to say that I think LnS is an excellent firewall and believe me, I have tried numerous times to make it work on Vista. I have an AMD 3500+, 7800GT Vid Card, and an NF-43 EVGA motherboard. I keep my drivers for everything updated, but right now am using the 6.2.0.126 drivers for my ethernet (I just didn't bother to put the 65.55 back on). Thank you for the time you have taken looking into this.

13. luddy

luddy Registered Member

I am using the final version of 2.06 and as soon as I installed the product my access to the network was gone. Nothing would work and Vista telling me I had no connection. I am using nvidia network driver as well from 15.00 WHQL release. As soon as I uninstall LNS 2.06 everything works again.

Any ideas?

BTW nvidia driver in device manager for NIC shows version 65.5.5.0

14. BuzzStone

That is also my problem. I just tried the final release yesterday. Immediately after install it says conflict with nVidia drivers and therefore no network connection. After uninstall, back to normal. I have tried Winsock reset etc. but no luck.

15. luddy

luddy Registered Member

I don't get any errors or warning, just doesn't give me a network connection. Red X over NIC icon in sys tray.

16. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Frederic has already investigated this issue and has determined this to be specific to user's configurations... The key question here is ..., what configurations is problematic with Look 'n' Stop?

Look 'n' Stop when installing sets up emulating driver on user's network adapters, while doing this there be an temporarily disconnection, for whatever unforseen problem that occurs, reconnection may fail.

If anyone has desires on resolving this problem, please feel free to participate on this thread. I have a list of questions to be answered, again it would be helpful to have as many of them answered as possible.

- Are you using Microsoft version of the drivers?
    - Has there been additional updates to the drivers through Microsoft?

- Drivers downloaded else-where than from Microsoft updates, what site did you download from, and is it WHQL drivers?

- What setting you using in 'Windows Update Driver Settings', visit Start \ Run and enter-in; Sysdm.cpl ,2 then click the 'OK' button, on the new window click '* Driver settings' button.

- In windows 'Device Manager' (Start \ Run and enter-in; devmgmt.msc and click 'OK' button) select 'View \ Show hidden devices', expand 'Network Adapters' section and list here everything that shows '* - Look 'n' stop driver', and anything that is showing not properly installed.

And while we are at this stage, try 'Update driver...' button on the Network adapters that are shown not properly installed or functioning...

This is one set of questions, answer these and we'll jump to the next set of questions if needed... ;)

17. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Coul you confirm you get this even when Look 'n' Stop is not started but just installed ?

Thanks,

Frederic

18. BuzzStone

Phantom, I re-installed LnS to do your questionaire, and as luck would have it, LnS installed without a hitch. If there is something I can check while working properly, please let me know. In the meantime I'll continue using LnS to see what happens (hopefully nothing).

19. Phant0m

Hi BuzzStone,

Just keep track of what you install/uninstall for the next couple of boots, as you probably already aware of, don't install two or more third-party software firewalls. Any changes to the network settings, keep track of.

20. BuzzStone

I have used the MS drivers that came with Vista (6.2.0.126). I have used the 65.55 drivers from nVidia (WHQL certified). Both have malfunctioned. They have sometimes worked as expected for several days then stop after a reboot. Windows diagnose and repair could not fix. The only update to the drivers from MS was to the 65.55 from nVidia. My Windows Update Drivers setting was set to AUTO, I changed it to ASK. The following showed LnS Drivers: NVidia nForce Networking Controller, Wan Miniport (IP), Wan miniport (IPv6). Please note the following:
    Driver Provider – Soft4Ever
    Driver Date – 3/18/2000 (not a misprint)
    Driver Version – 1.0.0.1
    Digital Signer – Not Digitally Signed
    All stated that the device was working properly. Did try to update the drivers and Vista said it did it, but I don’t think it could connect to the net.
    I just did a reboot (problem with Logitech Keyboard - known issue, the LnS problem was occurring before I owned this Keyboard), and no internet connection, had to uninstall LnS to get back on. Hopefully the above info will be helpful.

21. Phant0m

If your non-emulated Internet Network adapter showing still the installed and functioning proper state ... in Device Manager, there was no need to do the 'Update driver...' in the adapters properties...

And if Look 'n' Stop application on start-up didn't complain with "Unable to load the lnsfw driver *" then the Look 'n' Stop packet-filter is still installed properly...

Therefore the question is, are you seeing any packet logging on the Look 'n' Stop 'Log' screen? What's shown on the Look 'n' Stop 'Welcome' screen? Are you using EnhancedRulesSet.rls? Has it been modified from it's default state?

22. BuzzStone

Frederic/Phantom, here is my latest attempt:
    >Install LnS (and reboot) - no connection - Nvidia not showing in Options menu (just two Wan Miniports)
    >Exit LnS - still no connection
    >Device Manager - Disable Nvidia 65.55 drivers - Enable Nvidia 65.55 drivers -can now connect to the Internet - Restart LnS - Internet connection
    remains (Nvidia now in Options menu)
    >Reboot - no connection - LnS appears to be working as there are numbers showing on the welcome menu - Nvidia still showing in Options menu - an IP address was showing that was not mine (can't remember if Connected was ticked) - after ~5 min it connected for some reason (nothing done) and my IP address was now there
    >Reboot - no connection - Nvidia not showing - Disable/Enable Nvidia drivers and got the connection back - Nvidia showing
    I thought I would mess with it a bit and let you know what I was seeing, hopefully you will find this info helpful. I also see on the PC Tools forums that people are experiencing connection problems.

edit - I did a reboot and again LnS appeared to be working - no connection - IP address that was not mine (same address as before) - Connected was not ticked - did a Vista diagnose and repair (renew IP address) - was able to connect.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  23. Phant0m

This is a very odd problem, and a very annoying one at that!

Let's review this, and correct me please if I make any mistakes...

- Every re-boot this problem re-appears?

- This problem begins after Look 'n' Stop install where the Network adapters becomes emulated by Look 'n' Stop driver?

- When this problem appears on re-boot, your actual Networking Controller in Device Manager shows it to have 'Malfunctioned' for 'Device status' in driver properties? But all the "* - Look 'n' Stop driver" entries all show to be properly functioning?

- Disabling / Enabling your actual Networking Controller in Device Manager does indeed restore it to working state, and Look 'n' Stop appears to be functioning properly?

In Event Viewer, was there any entries corresponding to nForce Networking Controller driver?

Regards,
    Phant0m``

24. BuzzStone

Point 1) Not every reboot, but most.
    Point 2) Right after installation, the connected blue icon disappears and is replaced by the yellow exclamation and LnS asks for a reboot to complete install. After reboot there is a red x in the icon (this is when I do the disable/enable). I hope this answers your question.
    Point 3) No! It always says the device is working properly.
    Point 4) That is correct.
    Sorry, but I didn't check the event viewer (actually not quite sure what you mean).
    As I have stated in previous posts, it has sometimes worked perfectly for a period of time, even after reboots. Then bang-o, back to square one.

25. Phant0m

If you using an account with administrator level privileges then you see 'Administrative Tools' in Control Panel, Start \ Settings \ Control Panel \ Administrative Tools \ Event Viewer :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.