Clone/Copy Win2K3 Srv to LARGER HD?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Bonedoc, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonedoc

Bonedoc Registered Member

Has anyone used EASY 7.0 to do this? I see it supports the NOS and only need to enlarge a drive in the same server/computer (no changes to ANYTHING except space) - don't believe I need to effect SID changes or such. Experience with this procedure is sought. Thank you very much.
    NOS is Windows Server 2003 Standard, system is secondary DC... one of two. Many thanks! :)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bonedoc,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis System Transferring Software.

You may transfer the operating system using Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 without any problems. If you do not plan to duplicate the server (i.e. if you plan to delete operating system from the old drive) you don't need to generate new SID. Please make sure the only hardware change is the hard drive capacity (not type!). We can guarantee that everything will work fine only if you tranfer the system to the same hardware. Otherwise, you will need to use sysprep as described at our web-site.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Bonedoc

Thank you very much...

It is a larger drive, SCSI... not sure if the SCSI protocol is exactly the same but it is NOT RAIDED, straight scsi - and I'll be using the SAME controller card (again it is not raided and won't be) - just need to go from an OLDER SCSI drive of
    4GBs to a 25GB U160 drive (both drives ARE Quantums!)... so I did not see a problem... will try it.

BTW, the EASY program does NOT automatically 'wipe' the originating (or copied) drive, right? I just want to disconnect it and KEEP it in case the clone does not go well. Thanks.

;)

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bonedoc,

In case of simple hard drive upgrading (change of drive capacity) there will be no problem. Acronis Migrate Easy allows you to choose whether you wish to leave the data on the source drive intact, or you wish to wipe the drive, or to create new partition layout (this will delete the data as well). The default option is to leave data untouched and if you don't set it to anything else nothing will be deleted or changed on the source drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Bonedoc

Houston, We have a problem.

Within Win2K3 server system (to be cloned to larger drive) - the 'manual' or 'automatic' says to select the "source" drive - a 9GB SCSI drive, 80 pin on but not raided (two of these drives are raided in Windows 'spanning' software application, but NOT the BOOT C: drive - it stands alone).

I get the attached error (unsupported hard drive) - this is most aggravating. I had plans to complete this quickly.

Does this need to be done thru a boot diskette??

Attached Files:

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Bonedoc

Not all Acronis Products support dynamic disks,

I have never used Win2k3 but if it has the DiskProbe in the CD support tools folder you should be able to Convert to basic disk:-

HOWTO: Convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk without data loss

**Disclaimer: This ONLY works if you have NOT used ANY of the "new" features of dynamic disks such as extending a partition or software RAID. This is an expert-level procedure, so if you don't know what you are doing, you shouldn't be attempting this.**

1) Install dskprobe.exe on the system. (This is one of the utilities in the Win2K or WinXP support tools on the install CD, and can be installed by simply copying the .exe file to the hard drive.)
    2) Run dskprobe.exe on the system.
    3) Select the Drives menu and "Physical Drive. . ."
    4) Double click on the drive that you want to convert back to a basic disk. Click the "Set Active" button next to that drive.
    5) From the Sectors menu, select "Read"
    6) Accept the defaults (begin sector 0, read 1 sector) and click "Read"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7) In the editor, go to the "01C0" line and the third bit should be a "42".Change that to a "07".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8 ) From the Sectors menu, select "Write". Confirm all dialog boxes. **Note: This is the step that will hose your box if you have not followed the above instructions correctly.**
    9) Exit dskprobe.exe. Reboot
    10) Run chkdsk on the affected logical drive(s). If any errors are found, do a chkdsk /f to fix them. Done.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

PS: If you have DDS9 you can use that to edit "01C0" just make the above changes and Exit it will ask if you would like to save the changes say Yes, you then have a basic Disk. [also much quicker to do with]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  7. Bonedoc

:oops:
    Dumped the server (had access to original drives , NOS) removed (demoted with dcpromo - removed from Domain) and rebuilt it.

IF MigrateEASY does NOT SUPPORT DYNAMIC disks (and it certainly did NOT support something within my system - which BTW GHOST did, albeit that program munched a file or two and the NOS wasn't fully operational) THEN they should STATE SO in NO uncertain terms. Perhaps it does and this is another cause. At any rate, I've moved past this problem and won't keep the product.

Thanks for those who attempted to help!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.