How do you block host name?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by notageek, May 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I'm running earthlink for my ISP. When I go to web pages that shows how well you security is it show my host name. I'm not worried about the IP addy just the host name. Anyone know of a way to block it or a program that will block it?

2. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi notageek,

you can't block the host name otherwise you wouldn't be able to surf again. This is made by your provider. What would be the purpose of of blocking it? If you surf around you always have an identification number and this is good like this.

If you wanna hide it on the other hand, then you have to use a proxy server or proxy servers. That's the best solution to hide your traces and your correct location.

Best regards,

Patrice

3. notageek

OK thanks I'm sorry i didn't mean block I meant hide my host name. I know there's no way of blocking. But thanks for letting me know about the proxy thing. I don't trust thems. :)

4. Patrice

Hi notageek,

try out this tool here, it's very fast and very safe: :D

http://www.photonosoftware.com/Stealther/

I absolutely love it!

Regards,

Patrice

P.S. You can also use Proxomitron to fake some system information of your computer.

5. notageek

Thanks Patrice. I have Proxo and all the filters I can find at their board and than some. But there's fe sites that still get through.

6. Patrice

Hi notageek,

actually you find a more up-to-dated version of Proxomitron on the German homepage of it. The base is the same, there are just some more rules added. Unfortunately the original developer stopped writing rules, but these guys continued. :D

http://www.buerschgens.de/Prox/

Proxo is still in English, so you can download it without problems. It might be that these sites don't come through after this. Test it!

Regards,

Patrice

7. notageek

Thanks I'll check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.