Spyblaster conflict with Windows intaller ?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by BATMAN, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BATMAN

BATMAN Registered Member

When i start Spyblaster (from Program menu and shortcut) it immediatly run at the same time the Windows installer panel and try to reinstall my MS Office 2000 ! o_O
    After multiple click on Cancel button, i can abort the windows installation program and can access to the Spyblaster configuration panel. However, if i click on Update button or close the program (checked box at right top), Windows installer restarts !

I am on XP Home.
    Thanks for your support

2. gb

gb Guest

I have the same problem on a Win2000/SP3-system.

Strange... o_O

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Can't duplicate that one here - are you guys running Release 2.0.2? Pete

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

It sounds like something on your system isn't configured correctly (perhaps another installer did this?)

In any case, could you try downloading and installing the following file (it is the newest Windows Installer version from Microsoft (i.e. anyone with Windows 2000 with this issue) - I'm hoping that by reinstalling it, this incorrect setting that is causing this issue, no matter what it is, will be fixed).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4b6140f9-2d36-4977-8fa1-6f8a0f5dca8f&DisplayLang=en

Best regards,

-Javacool

- tagged it - LWM

5. DiDo

DiDo Guest

I have the same problem on my xp machine :doubt:
    tries to start my office xp for small businesses installer...

and the link provided in the upper post doesn't mention
    a word about xp, if I read correctly.

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Well, yes it does, actually - "Windows XP contains Windows Installer 2.0 and therefore can't be installed or upgraded by this redistributable." Pete

7. DiDo

DiDo Guest

Hmmm.....
    So, what's my next move, my good man o_O

8. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Perhaps wait for the next version - and see if it still uses the WI? Pete

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I find this very interesting - SpywareBlaster doesn't use Windows Installer at all, and it shouldn't be causing this conflict.

I haven't been able to duplicate it either on any of my test machines, which also hinders progress towards finding out exactly what is configured strangely on your machines. :doubt: (Again, I am almost certain it is no fault of your own - I wouldn't be surprised if MS Office itself was the source of the issue, or perhaps some sort of Office/Windows Installer conflict, as strange as that may seem - although that doesn't explain why only a few people are having this issue.)

I'll keep looking into it.

Best regards,

-Javacool

10. MightyMouseNH

MightyMouseNH Registered Member

Has this problem (installers kicking in) been resolved anywhere by anyone? I have been using SpywareBlaster for some time. Just the other day I went to run it by clicking on the Desktop shortcut that I always click on, and the Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 installer kicked in. I recently downloaded and installed SP2 for my computer running XP home edition, and this is the first problem I have encountered. Can anyone help?

11. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

Had the same problem awhile ago. In my case, Microsoft Office would try to install everytime I tried to open anything (internet, programs, documents, etc.). I resolved the problem by completely removing Microsoft Office(via 'Add/Remove') and then re-installing Microsoft Office. I think the problem was that I must have lost a key file or .dll or something. The removal and re-installation should solve the problem.

Good Luck! ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  12. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

13. MightyMouseNH

MightyMouseNH Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback on this issue. I decided to let the Office installer keep going instead of canceling it like I had been doing, and it turns out I was missing some particular .cab file. I inserted the original Office 2003 CD, the installer grabbed the file it needed, and that was the end of it. And now SpywareBlaster runs fine, without interruption. What the connection was between SpywareBlaster and the Office installer and the missing .cab file remains a mystery, but at some point I have to say, "Who cares?"

14. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Actually .cab file is required to retrieve/extract the missing or corrupted file, assuming OFFICE temporary extracted location been deleted off your HDD the MS Installer will prompt for OFFICE CD.

15. anon2004

anon2004 Guest

People tend to not understand that Windows is not Windows is not Windows.

People who make their own computers and install OEM OS versions or installed their own retail version of the software have the unadulterated versions of the OS. Those who purchased computers from companies like Dell, Gateway, etc have heavily modified versions of Windows. Therefore conflicts are more likely and more difficult to diagnose and resolve with these modified versions of Windows. Normally they need to see if they can get help via the manufacturer.

I caution people who have these manufacturer installed OS's to be really cautious in using freeware. There is a reason for companies to offer Windows logo or certified software. It has been tested for compatibility. You may not like it but that is the reality of it. What you may have saved when you purchased the computer you lose at the other "user end".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.