View Full Version : Is a local port scanner necessary?
April 30th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Is it necessary or useful to have a local port scanner if you use a properly configured firewall? *Is it redundant or does it provide an extra layer of security?
April 30th, 2002, 09:36 PM
* * * * * * IMHO a port scanner is an essential security program when used properly. * not everyone has the same needs so this may not apply to the average user.
* * * * * * so just maybe the answer depends on your needs. *what goal would you being trying to achieve...etc. *if its just a matter of wanting to see if you have any ports open then a simple online scan would do the job.......without the need for installing yet one more program...."memory" is precious! * plus, there is also "resource useage" to consider. *
* * * * * a word of caution I would respectfully offer to anyone....is never try playing games with a hacker...if you are experiencing abnormal scans..pings...etc...shut-down...an let your computer live for another day....don't challange a hacker by pinging him back....that may only just tell him that ..yes, you are there....an perhaps give him your address......
* * * * ***remember..being curious killed the poor putty cat"
* * * * * * * * * * * * * snowman
May 2nd, 2002, 06:40 PM
Thanks snowman. *I just want to make sure that all ports are closed and that my firewall is operating properly. *I'm not sophisticated enough to play games with hackers. *I have used the Gibson site to test ZA and it says I am stealthed. *But the test only covers a limited number of ports. *Is a more comprehensive test necessary and available?
May 2nd, 2002, 11:30 PM
You can let this site do a scan:
And here you can find more portscannings:
May 3rd, 2002, 02:26 AM
Thanks FanJ. *You were a big help and I appreciate it.
May 3rd, 2002, 04:34 AM
* * * *Gnostic
* * * *you are most welcome......an do please take a look and try the url's FanJ listed..........while you are at the "free services" page may I respectfully suggest that you try the firewall tests at "pcflank" * stealth and exploits tests...........an then if you care to you check check your browser for "privacy"
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * snowman
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2013, Wilders Security Forums