Change drive letter after restore???? c:->f: ???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 3point, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3point

3point Guest

Hi to all,

This is my problem:
    I backup WinXP SP2 with TI 6.0.
    I restored the image on a new larger drive, but after reboot, the new drive letter for WinXP is F: (I have also 2 CDROMS D:, E:) .... Now some programs don't run correctly....
    How I can correct this problemo_O I want WinXP is in drive letter C: (now is empty!!)

Thanks in advance, Luigi

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Do it again, this time remove the old drive before you reboot.

3. 3point

3point Guest

I try this.... no changes!!

any other ideaso_O

Thank you,
    Luigi

4. beenthereb4

You must restore the image from the bootable CD and then remove the old drive before rebooting. Is that what you did?

5. 3point

3point Guest

Exactly!!
    I did this !!! But no way....

Let me know....

Bye, Luigi

6. 3point

3point Guest

nobody can help meo_O

Thanks in advance, Luigi

7. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

If you can state what kind of drive (IDE or SATA) and where it is installed (IDE primary master, etc.) it would help others to analyze your problem. Also, if it is an IDE drive, is it the only one on the cable or is there a slave drive? How is it strapped?

Hope someone can help you out,
    Skyhawk

8. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

When I did a restore of my C: drive from a TI8 image on an external HDD to a new a newly installed primary drive, I noticed that TI8 displayed something similar in the Restoration script because TI8 recognized the valid drives first, then the new unformatted drive last as either "F" or "G". I also wondered if it would actually "change" the drive assignment of the newly restored drive. Once I finished the restore and rebooted my system, I had no problems. I think it is just a way TI uses to present what it is doing. In other words, it is restoring a the image of the "C:" partition to the currently assigned (by TI) "F:" drive. It does not mean it is actually changing the drive of the image. I also noticed my CD drive defined twice under TI. Dont know why that is.

9. regnim

regnim Guest

Right click My Computer
    manage
    Disk managment
    Right click disk
    Change drive letter

10. beenthereb4

You cannot change the drive letter for your active partiton by this method, try it --- no can do!

11. 3point

3point Guest

Thanks to all...

I have only one HD (primary master) on IDE channel 1. On IDE channel 2 I have 2 CDROMS.

Now I try to restore from a folder on the LAN. Then I will write here if I will have a better result.....

Bye, 3 point

12. 3point

3point Guest

No changes...

Now I tell you what happen:
    - restore: OK
    - reboot: OK
    - winxp logo and blue progressbar running: ok
    - landscape light blue : here stop! but without the white text "WINDOWS XP": now a little logo "windows XP" appears in the middle of the screen.... mouse icon is live (system not hangs)
    The system goes in that condition also in Safe Mode, in VGA mode and so on....
    If I repair WINXP installation, the system starts correctly but in F: .....

What happenedo_O Anyone has ideas??
    Thanks in advence, Luigi

13. MiVi

MiVi Registered Member

Since your original image of Windows had all registry entries for the C drive, when you installed it on the now F drive, it screwed up all the registry entires pointing to specific drivers/programs/etc.

This will of course kill Windows.

Since you cannot get into Windows, you can't run Disk Manager to change the drive letter - and you can't change the drive letter of the system drive by that method.

You can however change the system drive by editing the registry directly. Or if you have PartitionMagic and can boot into it with its DOS boot version, you can change the drive letter for the drive from F to C, and that should fix all your problems.

To edit the registry without being able to get into Windows (and you can't get into Safe Mode either I am assuming - happened to me in the past), you'll need to boot with something like BartPE and use a registry editor to edit the system registry directly. This is of course a longer, harder route since you'll have to build yourself a BartPE CD and enable the regeditpe plugin. See www.911cd.net/forums for details.

Best to boot to DOS version of PartitionMagic and try to change the drive letter from there. Or repartition and reformat all your drives again, and make sure the hard drive is labeled C (don't plug in any external drives), and then run TI8 again.

14. LegacyUSB

LegacyUSB Guest

If you can no longer boot Win NT/200x/XP because of a drive letter change, consider changing the "partition" value in boot.ini. Google for details.

15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 3point and others,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Here were very much information written and some of it is true, some is false.

As I understood, the final state is that you have tried to restore the image from the network on your Primary Master HDD and after that Windows hangs right before a login screen should appear.

3point, if you still have a problem with Acronis True Image please contact support@acronis.com. Please also note that Acronis True Image 6.0 is rather old version and we don't maintain it now. The latest build of Acronis True Image 6.0 is 650. You can download it at http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/.

Thank you.

16. nemo_omen

nemo_omen Registered Member

3point

I've already posted this quick fix on another thread. Though some are skeptical about this solution (and honestly so was I when I first heard of it) I can tell you for sure that it works (also with Norton Ghost).

Boot your computer with a Windows 98 boot floppy. At the A: prompt run "FDISK /MBR" (without the quotes of course!), this will re-build the Master Boot Record and it will fix the problem of Windows XP "hanging" or restarting at the logon screen. Reboot the computer (without the floppy!) and you should be in business.

Try it, it is easy, quick and you don't loose anything by rebuilding the MBR.

The only thing I ask is that if this gets you out of your fix, that you post a message for the "skeptics".

Regards.

17. desperate

desperate Guest

The above works!!! You are the man!!! I spent a week trying to figure this out. I was desperate and willing to try anything except re-install windows xp on an F: drive and having to reinstall alll my programs because they would be looking for them on drive c: and now my SATA would be drive F:

I recommend going to bootdisk.com to get the boot up diskette for windows 98 in case you throw out your windows 98 CD.

Regards,
    The Skeptic

18. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

The same thing could have been accomplished by booting off your XP CD and accessing the Recovery Console and typing

fixmbr

No need for obsolete W98 floppies at all.

19. umferg01

umferg01 Guest

I have been having the same problem (with it hanging up, or with it having the wrong drive letter altogether). Although I was in the recovery consol, it didn't really do a great job of telling me what I needed to do. Other advice a read had me copy ntdetect.com, ntdlt (or something), and then type in "fixboot". That didn't help at all.

Anyway, thanks to all!

20. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

sandokan

What if your windows xp is preinstalled!!!

21. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Hi Tronic-

If you have a pre-installed copy (most of us laptop users for example) you can still make a bootable WindowsXP disk. The \i386 folder has what's needed. Instructions are available. Google for "slipstream bootable XP." While some of the methods require you to have the original bootable XP disk, others let you build one without it. The boot image on the original disk is available for download; you add in your i386 folder and the slipstreamed stuff and you are good to go. I did it a year or two ago. Handy to have around!

Marc

22. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello umferg01,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Could you please describe what your current problem is and what you did in details? This will allow us to investigate the issue and provise you with the possible solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

23. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

Marc_G

thanks for reply ile give it a Google, and try it.

ps in other words its a full retail windows xp disk where you would pay about £90 odd . sounds good. sood have a retail disk with a new system anyway.

cheers m8..

24. Paul Leisy

Paul Leisy Guest

Actually, only Win98 fdisk /mbr will work. As I understand it, the Disk Id will be cleared by Win98 fdisk /mbr by "mistake" because it clears extra bytes in the MBR. But this "mistake" is good for resetting drive letters.

If you use WinXP "fixmbr" it will correctly fix the MBR but will not reset the Disk ID.

See this site for all the details:

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/index.htm#partsigs

25. wdon

wdon Registered Member

I just downloaded version 8 yesterday, and when I restored my first image, it was assigned a new drive letter, and the old C drive was still there. I tried to delete the C drive, but this was impossible.

I am used to ghost, which just replaced the original C drive with the image.

Did I do something wrong? I thought I followed the instructions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.