How can I COMPLETELY Remove Norton Antivirus Registry Entries..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Straight Shooter, Nov 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :mad: :D
    Hello,
    In my office, I help out a lot of my fellow co workers when they have computer related questions and what not.. (We are all independent contractors). Here's my problem;

An associate just bought a new laptop, an HP. I was a "clearance" item sale. My manager, now wise to the virtues of NOD32 and how I used it successfully to help clean viruses of others computers, told the associate "Rich" to see me.

Rich has a laptop, with Norton Antivirus 2002 already installed in it. He also has a "System Restore CD" with Norton in it! I know how to remove most of the files, by using the uninstall instructions from Symantec's site, however, I want to completely "scrub" the registry of amy Norton entries. Does anyone here have any ideas? I can individually delete files named Symantec and Norton from the Computer itself, and I guess I can also search the registry, I just want to know if anyone here have any tips to share, especially for a FREE way to scrub the registry. That computer is going to get a brand spankin new version of NOD32 as soon as Norton is completely out. I don't want him to buy a registry cleaner, he doesn't know how to use one yet. The other 5 associates who bought NOD32 all swear by it, but none of them had Norton preinstalled! Also, I am going to get him a cloning program to create a restore set of the final set (Acronis, or Ghost), but after I install Nod32 and a software firewall (Free Zonealarm). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Notice: I am not using this forum as a chance to bash Norton AV... That's NOT what my intent is...

I can't believe Norton is preinstalled in some new machines (not a bashing)...

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Straight Shooter.I might have do that when I get a family member's pc up to date with an anti-virus program(NOD32).The pc in question has an older version of Norton.I checked at Symantec and they have an un-install tool for free.The only other option I can think of is to manually un-install Norton than run a good registry cleaner.I have jv16 Power Tools(free program).I think it would be safe to remove anything that came up as Norton or Symantec.I've been using that to clean up "scraps" after un-installs.I haven't had any problems so far.McAfee came pre-installed on my system.That was a hard program to remove!I'm no expert.Just my 2 cents worth.

3. Thank you.. I kind of saw it would come down to using JV Power Tools.. I am familiar with the program.. Just for the record, this computer has WIn XP Home as the OS...

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

JV16 Power Tools OS support
    Win98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, NT4

...if that was your concern.

Regards
    CrazyM

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Straight Shooter - when you were looking at the removal instructions from the Symantec site, did you see the utility that they provide to completely remove NAV? (They've realized this process can be a problem and made a tool to automate it.) I think you really want to try and use the RNAV (Remove NAV) tool to make removal almost 100%, without a lot of manual work on your part.

This page itself is mainly a NIS page, however, midway down the page is a direct download link for RNAV.exe

Download and run the RNAV tool

Also, since this isn't a question about NOD32, I am going to move this thread over to "other anti-virus software".

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

6. the Tester

Straight Shooter.I have win xp home also.I should have mentioned that in the earlier post.

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

regedit----> search for symantec-----> delete !
    regedit----->search for norton ------> delete !

Technodrome

8. I heard of the RNAV Removal tool, and actually used it once, but t still left a lot of crud. I think I just have to first unintall NAV, then use the RNAV tool, then manually clean the registry and the HD of Norton - Symantec, then use JV Powertools..
    Maybe that is the best apporach...

Thanks

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yep, and a very thorough approach, too. That should really take care of it. (Then definately get an image of that drive in a clean state. ;) )

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Thats correct! Same goes for KAV removal tool!

Technodrome

11. the Tester

Well Straight Shooter.I un-installed Norton 2000 from the computer.It's windows 98 version.I used add/remove.Rebooted.Then ran jv16 Power Tools.I found 3 entries for Symantec in the installed programs window.Deleted them,rebooted.I downloaded and installed NOD32 and it seems to run smoothly so far.Maybe Norton 2000 isn't so bad to un-install.The registry cleaner tool in Power Tools didn't find anything mentioning Norton or Symantec.No scraps!That surprised me!Can it be that easy?I am crossing my fingers.

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4238

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.