Removing NAV: RNAV2003

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FanJ, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Symantec has released a (re)new(ed) removal tool for NAV2003:

Quote:
    [hr]
    How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the Rnav2003.exe removal utility

Situation:
    You want to use the Rnav2003.exe utility to uninstall Norton AntiVirus (NAV).

Solution:
    Rnav2003.exe is a utility that manually uninstalls the program files and registry entries that are installed by NAV 5.0/2000/2001/2002/2003. It does not remove the files or registry keys for the virus definitions, subscription information, entries in the Task Scheduler, or other shared files. The utility should be used only when you cannot uninstall through the Add/Remove Programs applet. Uninstalling NAV through Windows does a more thorough job of removing the program.

For information on how to uninstall NAV from within Windows, see the document that applies to your version of NAV:

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2003 or Norton AntiVirus 2003 Professional Edition
    How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002

NOTES:
    This utility must not be used to uninstall Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAVCE).
    This utility removes NAV from Norton Internet Security (NIS). However, the removal process causes NIS to not run correctly. Therefore, it is recommended that you also follow the steps in the document How to uninstall Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall using the Rnis.exe removal utility to remove NIS after running Rnav2003.exe.
    This utility does not uninstall NAV cleanly if it was installed as a part of Norton SystemWorks(NSW). If you run the Rnav2003.exe utility on a version of NAV that was installed as a part of NSW, then it will cause NSW to not run correctly. To uninstall NAV if it was installed as a part of NSW, first use the SymClean removal utility by following the instructions in the document How to use the Norton SystemWorks cleanup utility (SymClean) and then run the Rnav2003.exe removal utility to make sure NAV was removed completely.
    The Rnav2003.exe utility runs on all language versions of Windows. However, the graphical user interface is English.
    The Rnav2003.exe utility does not remove a version of NAV if it was installed under an operating system (OS) that was upgraded without first uninstalling NAV. For example, the Rnav2003.exe utility does not remove NAV if it was installed under Windows 98, and then you upgraded to Windows 2000 without uninstalling NAV. In a case like this, you must remove NAV manually.

To run Rnav2003.exe and ensure that all of NAV has been uninstalled:
    1. Run the Rnav2003.exe utility.
    2. Remove any NAV entries from the Windows Task Scheduler.
    3. If no other Symantec products are installed, then do the following:
    Remove the registry entries for the virus definitions.
    Delete the virus definitions folder.
    4. If no other Symantec products are installed, and if you have NAV 2002 or 2003, then remove the symredir registry entries and the symredir hard drive entries.
    [hr]

RNAV - How to uninstall Norton Antivirus 2003

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

And (thanks to CrazyM for the link !) for NIS/NPF:

Quote:
    [hr]
    How to uninstall Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2003 using the RNIS removal tool

Situation:
    Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) 2003 is installed on your computer. You were unable to remove the program through the Programs list and Add/Remove Programs. You want to use the Rnis.exe removal tool to uninstall NIS or NPF 2003.

Solution:
    Rnis.exe is a utility that removes the program files and registry entries installed by NIS or NPF. This utility should be used only if you cannot uninstall through the Add/Remove Programs applet or through the Programs list option. For instructions on uninstalling NIS or NPF through the Add/Remove Programs or Programs list options, see the document How to uninstall Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2003.

NOTE: You must have Windows Administrator rights to remove NIS or NPF from Windows 2000 or XP.

To use the Rnis.exe removal utility, you must download the Rnis.exe and Rnav.exe files, found later in this document, to your computer. After the download, locate and execute the file or files to remove the programs.

NOTES:

The Rnis.exe removal tool is used to remove NIS or NPF.
    The Rnav.exe removal tool is used to remove Norton AntiVirus (NAV).
    If you have Norton Personal Firewall, it is not necessary to use the Rnav.exe removal tool.

[hr]
    RNIS - How to uninstall Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2003

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2002101011355236

3. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I think this is the best software ever released by Symantec. ;)

wizard

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

:D I tend to agree ;)

5. controler

controler Guest

OMG !!! my Jaw dropped LOL

Someone actualy liking Symantec software?
    Do any of you remember his software from the early 80's
    Did any use it?
    I just fixed up a computer that wouldn't boot. Froze after the safe mode screen.
    I used a Windows 95 boot disk. All I had with at the time. So I had no DR-ROM suport. I then did a regscan/fix
    After that I got it to boot but with the usual Norton errors.
    I did see the newly released file from Norton's site but just used the
    uninstall from safe mode and that worked fine.
    I next reloaded Norton AV 2003 and it is up and running again.
    Moral of story is this. !!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you do a restore and can Uninstall NAV first ,, Do so...
    If you can't uninstall it first. You WILL have problems trying to boot.
    but they still CAN be fixed.
    Hope this helps

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Wizard, Tinribs,

Where are the facts gentlemen?

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi controler!

I was just waiting for your reaction, and YES, you did!
    You have maked my day in a positiv way! :D :) ;) :p

8. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

i have to algree thats nice a company makeing a uninstall utlity for its program jesh if only a few others would do the same hmmmmmmmm i wonder what other program out there
    might need such a utlity lol

not pointing any finghers but maybe a paticulersoftware starting with the letter take a guess lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.