Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by selvan777, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selvan777

selvan777 Registered Member

Hi,

1. A question:
    Is it possible to burn an image contained in a secure zone to removable media?

2. An issue and/or question:
    I am able create an image of disk 1 containing 2 NTFS partitions (1 primary & 1 logical) directly to an external USB 2.0 drive, disk 2, containing 1 NTFS logical partition connected via a PC Card (PCMCIA USB 2.0 card) in my notebook when booting using the bootable rescue media (a cd created using TI v7 b572).

But when I try to activate the startup recovery manager by creating the secure zone on disk 2, it says the disk is not available when booting and that I can restore images on it only from windows. I tried it in windows, no different. I am only able to activate it by using disk 1.

Fact is I am able to restore images from disk 2 to disk 1 when booting.

Is this the way it is or what am I doing wrong? I'd like to use the startup recovery manager on the external drive, disk 2, if I'm able to burn it's images onto removable media.

Tanks for the help

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

1) You cannot burn that image anywhere - you can only restore from it using Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

2) Your 2nd drive is an USB one it seems - please mind that a VERY rare motherboard will support booting from USB, so you cannot set-up the manager on that drive as it won't be bootable... Though if you boot from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media you will be able to access the drive of course.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

3. selvan777

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and support.

It's a shame it can't be burnt because the only true secure zone at minimum is on the shelf in the closet. To me it's more a convenience zone.

Also, I thought the secure zone was primarily for creating and restoring images.

Rgds
    Selvan
    former Ghoster

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

FYI most motherboards that have come out in the last year or do support booting from a USB drive.

Check your manual or call techsupport to see if it is able.

5. selvan777

But I'm not looking to make it bootable.

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, selvan777

Just format it [USB HDD] and Boot from the Ti BootDisk and make an
    Image there, or make it in Windows.

You do not have to use Ti's secure zone unless you are making
    incremental backups. [no advice from me here as I do not us it]

If you make you Image in Windows, then Boot from the Ti BootDisk
    to make sure it recognizes your USB HDD.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. selvan777

Hi TheQuest,

Thanks for the post but there's no need to do all that stuff as things are working fine as is. As stated in my initial post, I am able to create and restore from the boot disk when booting (naturally in windows too). And I'll add that I do do increments successfully as well.

I just thought it odd that Acronis developed the feature Secure Zone for the primary reason of creating and restoring images but not let it function with an external usb drive via a pcmcia card. Especially so since the very same utility, TI, can do so via the boot disk it makes...pretty strange to me.

None the less, I'm thankful of this utility because it enables me to quickly and easily do backups via a pcmcia card to a usb 2 external drive...great job Acronis.

Getting Ghost to see the external drive via the pcmcia card was a real bear although I did do it once using usbenab.exe. Then I lost the floppy and after spending hours trying to build it again I gave up.

8. selvan777

Hi Anton,

So the Secure Zone is for "restoring images from" and "creating images to" but not to boot from?

What type of connection to an external drive will Secure Zone work with?

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Secure Zone itself is not bootable - right, but if it is created on an internal HDD, for example, you can boot using Acronis Startup Manager and restore from the image in the zone.

Well, as I keep saying, if you have an extrnal drive - there is no need in Acronis Secure Zone - better just store the image on that drive and create a bootable CD in order to be able to restore from the drive in case of failure. In that scenario both USB and Firewire external drives will work just ok.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

10. selvan777

Hi Anton,

Sorry, but I must have missed the part about the Secure Zone being meant only for those without a second drive (internal or not).

I still think though that it would be even more user friendly to write TI so the Secure Zone can work with external drives.

Perhaps even have it and the Bootable Rescue Media Builder contain disk cleaning tools.

11. nealh

nealh Registered Member

can you set Secure ZOne t o"update" your HDD image it stores at some interval ..and overwrite the old one...

Also is there a way t ocheck the integrity of a bckup image to see if it would in case of a failure without really doing a restore..thanks

12. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, nealh

Yes with scheduled tasks see Page 47 of your user's guide.
    But it will not overwrite one, [unless you run out of space]
    Just delete the one's you do not need. [secur delete is best and a reboot IMHO]
    Sorry to be brief, but would take to long to explain.

Just click Verify and browse to the Image you would like to check.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.