AVG Secure Search Security Toolbar

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IvoShoen, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I never got the point of sticking idiotic toolbars on security software. It's like bundling lockpicking kit with a house alarm (with the kit attached to the outdoor unit)...

What i also hate is the fact that they bundle toolbars by pretending that it's actually a security feature. But in fact it's just a plain casual dumb toolbar with a fancy name. Nothing else.

3. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

I had trouble with this toolbar last year. I had installed a driver updating program and noticed one of the default installation options was this toolbar – needless to say, I unchecked this option and went ahead with the installation of the program.

When I next opened Firefox however, there was this new Home page with the AVG Secure Search Security Toolbar installed! I thought what the hell? Where did this come from? Not only that – but this 'new' search tool did not even work! I could not access the net using this so called tool!

Anyway, the guy in the link was right – getting rid of this crap was difficult. Despite using Revo Uninstaller – I still had to manually search through Registry to completely remove all traces of the Toolbar.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sometimes installers have 3 settings...

Radio buttons or checkboxes to select what do you want to install of toolbar and Decline and Next > buttons below.
    Sometimes (very rarely), even if you select not to install it via checkboxes or radio buttons and not click Decline, it will still install it. It's lame and stupid but i've seen it. Or it was just crappy written installer that ignored any user input.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

AdwCleaner 2.115
    AdwCleaner

Junkware Removal Tool

6. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Just as a follow up – after I finished testing the driver update programs ( I was actually testing to see their reliability) I uninstalled the lot. About 3 months later I installed the same program that had given me the unwanted AVG Secure Search Security Toolbar before – and yep! It did the same again! Despite me carefully unchecking the option – it again installed the Toolbar!
    (this time I had no problems getting rid of the Toolbar!) ;)

7. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Making money off customers and tricking them into thinking its a good thing. Everyone's doing it now.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm not sure if it's a "good thing". Maybe you meant a "smart thing" from their part, instead?

Tricking users into installing applications that won't keep them and their systems safer, and only adds more buggy/exploitable code, is far from being a "good thing", IMHO.

Something I dislike in AVG's approach is that Internet Explorer users cannot use AVG Do-Not-Track component without installing this toolbar crap. Firefox and Chrome users can install the extensions available at Mozilla addons and Chrome Web Store pages. Why forcing users into making IE more vulnerable by injecting more buggy/exploitable code, that won't even protect them, at all? What sense does this make? o_O o_O

9. m00nbl00d

I just finished reading the article. :eek: I wonder if their security programs are this effective protecting themselves against termination? :D

10. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I said it was good for them, to make those dolla dolla bills. Not good for the user, but why not bundle it, charge a user $60 and then make money off them again with search revenue toolbar.

11. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

12. m00nbl00d

I see. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.