Silverlight invisible to SkyDrive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have Silverlight installed. I have just started using Skydrive.

To try it out I uploaded a few pictures and videos. Easy to do, however when I went to view the video the screen was very dark. A banner at the top of the screen stated that Silverlight was required and there was a download button presented. I have no idea why it is invisible to SkyDrive. Checked out MS Answers Forum/SkyDrive (holy moly, what a dreadful forum) but I could not find an instance similar to this. Not sure if I need to turn something on somewhere or not. I clicked on Silverlight and there was nothing there that I could see. My webcam works just fine.

I assume it is required to view the video from IE. It is a wvm file. I can view the video just fine on my PC so I am a little confused as to why the screen is so dark on IE and why Silverlight is being requested when it is already installed.

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey emmjay

Do you have 'ActiveX Filtering' enabled? If yes, then disable it and refresh your browser . It could be the reason to your troubles.

Regards, Janus :)

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx Janus. I checked out the Active-X that is enabled on my PC using WinPatrol and there are a lot there for Microsoft that are enabled. There is one there for Silverlight, so I guess this is the one you are referring to.

Microsoft SilverLight – NPCTRL.DLL

Npctrl.dll, npctrl.1.0.21115.0.dll, agcore.dll, and slup.exe install with Microsoft Silverlight. You'll find these files in your c:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\ folder. Microsoft Silverlight is a cross-browser, cross-platform, and cross-device plugin that allows web applications to be developed with features that characterize a rich internet application: animation, vector graphics and audio-video playback. It was developed to compete with Adobe Flash. If you want to be able to view SilverLight content, you'll need to leave Npctrl.dll, npctrl.1.0.21115.0.dll, and agcore.dll in place. Slup.exe is an optional update utility.

I disabled it and refreshed IE. SD still looking for Silverlight though.

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello emmjay

I should have been explaining me better, my fault. My first thought was, that you were using Internet explorer as your browser, and was using ActiveX filtering, and that browser function was blocking for silverlight. I have placed a link that explains how to disable/configuring activex filtering, if you should need it. Link: Internet Explorer "ActiveX Filtering" - Turn On or Off

Regards, Janus

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

You are a genius!!! Tnx Janus.

That worked perfectly and I learned something new today.

6. Janus

Janus Registered Member

You're welcome :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.