Questions about QuantOS

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Hungry Man, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

When Mint gets updates will QuantOS get the same updates?

Does QuantOS offer anything Mint doesn't or it is just a pre-configured version of Mint?

32bit only?

2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

you can say

Code:
    Tweaked with security + mint with xfce desktop default
    :p

yes updates are pretty same base is same

what guy did is it hardened mint on default security bases its more on security side distro

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1894243#post1894243

http://www.quantsec.com/

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

And 32bit only?

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I downloaded quantOS and put it on a USB via dd, and it stalls on boot with about 1+ lines of dots (for the booting process I assume). Since the .iso size is too large for CD and I only have a DVD-RAM which may not be able to boot a regular DVD .iso image - I'm stumped.

The downloaded .iso image verified ok against the md5sum.

Any suggestions? I may try to put the image on a DVD-RAM disk to see if it will boot. I don't know why it didn't boot from the USB - I've never had a problem booting a .iso image from USB before. Is there a way to interrupt a USB booting sequence and modify the boot command for quantOS?

-- Tom

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Yesterday, I tried to dd the quantOS .iso file onto a DVD-RAM disc that had just been wiped, but to no avail since it wat not recognizable by the BIOS as bootable.

I suppose I will try one of the procedures at pendrivelinux.com next to see if I can get a good USB .iso image burn - I still don't know the dd burn did not work when I tried it on the USB, unless it needs some kind of minimal partitioning prior to issuing the dd command.

Any thoughts?

Apparently, the dd burn to the USB did not work due to the fact that it looks like besides having an MBR configured on the USB, it looks like you also need to make a partition that can be tagged as an active (bootable) partition.

I did make some progress yesterday with a pendrivelinux.com multiboot setup, but it just came up to a grub> prompt that was not functional.

Today, I'm going to try making a persistent USB without the multiboot setup from pendrivelinux.com.

Note: I have suggested that quantOS be added to the live-usb-install tool (which has most of the known Linux distributions available in its drop-down menu) for its next release. Unfortunately, I do not know how long that will take.

-- Tom

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.