Paragon Backup ?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by born2golf, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. born2golf

born2golf Registered Member

I just downloaded and ran Paragon Backup and Recovery v.10 to my external HD My Books on K drive and all programs and files transfered nicely.
    My question is when I went to view the pbf filess it went directly to Windows cannot open files, Search web or programs listed from computer so How do I open the pbf files to view them?
    I am running Vista Home Premiium and always do a monthly back up to My Books and can go there to view each and every file (If I want to).
    So, how can I do the same with pbf?
    Any and all help is appreciated as I am new to this site and Paragon B&R

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

LOL.

I answered this already on seven forums.

Hiya - how are you?

You cannot open a .pbf file in windows explorer.

You have to use the Paragon program to open the backup image and find your files.

You can see which files are in the compressed backup image using Paragon.

You cannot see inside , or actually read the contents, or alter a file while it is in compressed backup image format.

To do that , you need to extract ( copy back ) any of the files you need.

From the Paragon main window - select either the Paragon File Transfer Wizard , or Paragon Restore Wizard to open the .pbf , you can see which files are inside the image - and identify them by name.

If you want to read them , or do anything to them - you can't - unless you copy them back from the compressed image into windows.

That is because you have made a compressed "image" of your drive. You can restore the entire image in case of disaster - and boot straight back into Windows. That is what an image is for.

( You have the added bonus of at least being able to find and copy back individual files from the image if you really need to.)

If you want to be constantly reading and altering files you have "backed up" - then just copy and paste them to an external drive.

Or , use windows to "back up " your files - and Paragon to make compressed images of your drive. Both are important functions.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  3. born2golf

born2golf Registered Member

Seven must be my lucky number as this one finally explains it.
    Thanks for hanging in there with me and explaining it to me.
    Consider this post resolved including the other six.
    Have a great day!

4. emc

emc Registered Member

I just did my first Paragon image on an external drive (Free Agent where I put all image backups). I appears to have been completed with no problems. I've studied your instructions about viewing the pbf files in the image backup but am quite confused. I also have Acronis True Image in which I can simply click on the backup image (C:) on the external drive and view everything there including all individual files.
    I've clicked on each Paragon section on the external drive "arc2404......." but nothing happens. I want to try Paragon File Transfer Wizard, as you suggest. But does that mean that I have to restore the image backup in Windows? I just want to be able to see the details of the backed up image on the external drive.
    I feel kind of dumb, but these image programs have always been very difficult for me to use (since I gave up on Ghost many years ago). Thanks for any help you can give me. emc P.S. Should I run "Check Archive Integrity" for every Paragon backup?

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You don't need to restore the image to see the files.

There are several ways to do it.

Her's one;

Use the File Transfer Wizard - use sources drop down to get to the drive your archive (image ) is on.

Click the + next to the archive, then click the .pbf file - it will reveal the folders - inside there are your files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.