Shadowprotect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ellison64, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive been trialling paragon hard disk manager,and am a little disappointed about a few things.
    1.I cannot make a bootable .iso cd disk from within the programe as it doesnt seem to recognise any cdr/rw disc i try to use.
    2.I created 3 bootable floppy disks from within paragon ,and it claimed this was successful.However when i actually came to try whether they worked or not ,the second boot disk would not work with "seek" errors ,so basically if i had need to use them i would have been screwed.This has put me off paragon somewhat.
    Ive now downloaded and am trialling shadowprotect.I have created an image on a partition and that seems to be successful (as was paragon).Im confused now though on how to create a bootable cd in case windows wont load.I read in the help files about storagecraft recovery environment and to use the shadowprotect recovery cd ,but where is this recovery cd wizard?.I cant seem to find anything in the gui relating to making a recovery cd.
    Need a little help here.
    thanks in advance
    ellison

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You probably downloaded the 30 Day Free Trial, that was a mistake.
    You have to use "Request Full Evaluation" and then you get an email with a link to download an .iso-file.
    Then you burn that iso-file to a CD.
    Then you have your Recovery CD and installation CD for SPD, all in one CD.
    http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/

3. ellison64

Ahh i see...
    I did actually hit the full evaluation button but tehre was a message saying that ,it wasnt for the home desktop user .......
    ShadowProtect Server Edition Evaluation Request
    IMPORTANT: Please note, this is an Enterprise product. This product is not intended for home computing. This evaluation
    of ShadowProtect Server Edition 3.0 includes all functionality except the Hardware Independent Restore (HIR) feature
    So is that the version that i should try?.I was also under the impression that the 30 trial for the home edition contained every thing i needed for 30 days o_O

tia
    ellison

4. ErikAlbert

Sorry the link is corrected. Not server but DESKTOP.
    Server is not for home users, desktop is the one you need.
    This is the right link.
    http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/
    Ignore the red warning.

5. ellison64

Thanks for the link ive asked for the full evaluation now.Guess ill uninstall the 30 trial.
    ellison

6. ErikAlbert

Yes uninstall it and wait for the email. :)

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ive managed to create succesful recovery discs with paragon.
    the problem i had the first time was my drive on my older pc didnt work so i installed it down here and then made the cd.
    i also got a vista winpe advanced recovery cd from paragon which has better driver support and you can add drivers while its live.
    shadow protect desktop is also a very decent imaging program thou and has a vista pe based recovery cd as well.
    lodore

8. ellison64

Well ive had the email ,downloaded the zipped .iso file ....extracted to a folder but im now unsure what to do with it?.I have nero 6 ultra edition ,and burned the 381mg .iso file to disk.I dont think thats correct though because nothing happens.Is there a certain way to burn these files? and if so does anyone know how to do it in nero or any other free burner?
    tia
    ellison

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

I have only recently burned the ISO image without any problems.

Its all really straight forward

If you download the free InfraRecorder,for example-create DATA CD-Burn Image- but of course open the file so the ISO is chosen.

The you install off the ISO disk,as well as using it for the recovery disk.

I think you will like Sp-after two days-its fantastic!:thumb: :thumb:

Demo video

This video is worth watching.

edit; download Infra recorder HERE

10. ellison64

I guess that programe doesnt recognize my cd/rw either or the drive is just too old.It will only write to 1x4 speed cds.Maybe thats a problem? because the "OK" button is greyed out on everything..If anyone has nero and can give me a step by step guide on how to burn this file correctly i would be grateful
    ellison

Attached Files:

11. ellison64

Ive finally manged to burn that iso file in nero to a normal cd disk.Im still not sure how to make this ShadowProtect Recovery CD in the event of not being able to load windows.? from the cd that i burnt.
    Sorry for such ignorance.
    ellison

Attached Files:

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That CD is both the installation CD for the desktop/server versions and the recovery CD. You have already made it. Try booting to it and you will see.

Pete

13. ellison64

Thanks for confirmation.The disk wont boot from the rewritable drive (which is where i had the disk :doubt: ,but it will boot from the cd/dvd drive,and it works !!.
    If after 30 days i decide to purchase would i need to make a new disk...in other words is the one i just burnt a trial disk?,and also where would be the best place to purchase the program?.Ive seen a site that supposedly sells shadowprotect for £7 which is significantly cheaper than the official site.So much so that i would be reluctant to get anything from them.Do you know of any site that offer vouchers or sales in the near future for this product?
    tia
    ellison

14. Peter2150

No not any legitimate sites. Can you PM me a link to the site you are refering to.

Thanks.

15. ellison64

Well im still trialling shadowprotect and so far so good.I actually bit the bullet this morning and tried a bare metal restore from the disk i burnt.I choose the second option for w2000 OS and let it run.After a few minutes it brought up the restore/backup screen etc.I then choose to restore the system volume (i had saved two backups to a partition on my C drive called G (D+E are my DVD+CDRW drives respectivley and F is removable drive for camera etc).Anyway when i browsed for 1 of the 2 backups that i had made i started to panic as the G partition with the two backs ups was nowhere to be found.However i noticed that the backups were now showing in the E drive which is normally my CDRW drive.Anyway i choose one of the backups and clicked to restore the volume.I also choose to restore the MBR from the image.Im not sure whether i should have chosen this as it was off by default.Anyway i choose it ,clicked restore and off it went and restored every thing back as it should have .I took out the disk rebooted and every things fine.The G partition with the backups on is showing and im pleased that it worked.However i am curious as to why shadowprotect didnt show the partioned G drive with backups on ,but showed them in E drive which is my CDRW drive.Also in the future should i choose to restore that MBR image or just leave it at default which is not to?
    tia
    ellison

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

strange, anyway its windows[vista] preinstalled environment so the part. and drive letters should show up with correct name. how is this all named under " my computer " ,perhaps you changed drive letters.

17. Peter2150

Hi Ellison

It is important that you have your volumes labeled with names you recognize. I use primary for c: and secondary for d: On one of my machines in any of the recovery environments, including Bartepe, Primary is still c: and secondary is d:, but on the other it switches, and primary becomes d: and secondary c: You always select the disk by the label. THis relates to how they were installed, I believe.

Pete

18. ellison64

Thanks for advice
    At present i haven't labelled any of the volumes (see pic).i will do as you suggest and label c primary and g as secondary though.Do you have any information on whether i should restore the MBR from the image when im restoring though?As i mentioned its off by default.
    ellison

Attached Files:

19. Peter2150

Hi ellison

It's kind of a preference thing. Probably because of the testing I was doing early on, I got in the habit of the following procedure:

1. On the destination menu, right clicking on the drive, that is the destination for the restore, and the delete the volume.

2. Right click the same drive and select create exact partition at the begining of the drive. This creates the partition that is defined in the image

3. Then the options I select for restore are a) set active b) restore mbr from the image c) restore track 0 d) restore disk signature

Then I let it rip.

Note if you just image and restore the partition, you don't have to do all that, and it does change the options a bit. Restoring the mbr is optional.

I do that so partly I am in the habit of doing it the way I'd need to on a bare metal restore.

Pete

20. ErikAlbert

Ellison,
    You must give your partitions a good and different NAME, you call them all "Local Disk". That's not good man !!!
    When you use your Recovery CD, the partition letters might change in certain situations,
    but the partition name is always the same and allows you to identify the right partition.

21. ellison64

Thanks for that info.Peter i have two full snapshots backed up to drive G.Am i able to create a new full backup and overwrite one of the snapshots?.Ive gone through back up wizard again but cannot see how i can overwrite one of the snapshots.If i cant do this how do i remove/delete one of the snapshots to make space?.I cant see how to achieve that through shadow protect gui.
    thanks in advance
    ellison

22. ellison64

Yes i have done that now Erik (primary and secondary).You can see that im new at this game ;).I am pleased that shadowprotect has restored an image and seem to work nice on my old system.I think i will be keeping this when the trial end nears.
    ellison

23. ErikAlbert

OK. You get smarter and smarter at Wilders. :)

24. ellison64

I hope so.....though regarding myself i sometimes fall into the old "you cant teach an old dog new tricks" category :doubt:
    ellison

25. ErikAlbert

You will learn alot here. When I joined Wilders, I didn't even know what a partition was, I thought that each partition letter was another harddisk. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.