WinPE 2 (Vista) based rescue cd?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Defcon, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Is there any readymade WinPE 2,0 based rescue cd similar to the Ultimate boot cd which includes freeware versions of various rescue and diagnostic software and also the plugins for Paragon and Acronis etc.

From what I've read WinPE 2.0 is much more capable and since its based on Vista the hardware compatibility is better - specifically it will work with my onboard Raid card and Sata drives.

I have read the procedure to create an image myself but it involves getting the WAIK etc and I'm sure something like this has been done already by people with far more skill than I have :)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Couple of points. First Winpe is based on Windows 2000. VistaPe is based on Vista. Secondly, there is no legit way as an end user you can get ahold of them. Only companies like Storagecraft who makes ShadowProtect are licensed to use it, and everytime, they give out a copy they have to pay Microsoft a royalty.

Bartepe or some of the other's like it would be your best bet.

Pete

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You need WinBuilder.
    http://www.vistape.net/
    http://www.boot-land.net/

4. spm

spm Registered Member

Not quite correct, I'm afraid. Windows PE 2.0 (from Microsoft), not WinPE (something quite different), is a minimal Win32 subsystem with limited services, based on the Windows Vista kernel running in protected mode. It is part of the "Windows Automated Installation Kit" (Windows AIK).

Unlike previous versions, Windows PE 2.0's licence is available to anyone and everyone, provided it is used purely for deploying Windows O/Ss or "diagnosing and recovering Windows operating system software".

Given its restricted purposes, there's a lot you cannot do with it, both legally and technically - so Windows PE isn't a viable platform for generalised 'rescue' disks like BartPE or UBCD4Win.

That said, it is very useful for creating imaging software recovery disks, especially given its good hardware compatibility, as observed by Defcon. Paragon already have Windows PE based recovery disks for some of their products (their Disk Manager Suite 2008, for instance). I am also close to completing a Windows PE based recovery disk for our customers using Drive Snapshot.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi SPM

Thanks for the correction and heads up.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.