Rollback Rx 8.1 "phones" home?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pandlouk, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

As most already know Rolback RX requires internet to activate. As an alternative it has an offline registration by adding a code that the support team can provide after a request.
    But I noticed that even after activation NetReg.exe tries to connect to 216.239.178.174 on the port 80.

Have any other user of rollback noticed this? I wonder what is the need to do such a thing when the product is already registered/activated.

ps. I hate it when the apps send out info without warning the user first. :cautious: :mad:

2. fce

fce Registered Member

KIS7 never give me some warning re: NetReg.exe connecting to any ports (except during Rollback Rx activation).

Btw, my Firewall setting is Training Mode.

3. pandlouk

I had the confirmation from the development that the version 8.1 does phone home everytime "shieldtray.exe" loads.

ps. FCE I would advise you to review your firewall settings. Kis should at least warn you about this.

4. fce

fce Registered Member

pandalouk,

if RBRx8.1 development team confirmed the "phone home" why i didn't see any netgear.exe in my firewall network activity?

anyway thanks for the advise.

5. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I assume to keep illegal serials to a minimum. Is this what support told you?

Thanks,

Chris

6. pandlouk

The reason was that they rebranded the product for some customers and they provided them some open licenses.
    It seems that some of those licenses got out in the field and they had to add a kind of license authentication.

Panagiotis

7. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Gotcha. Sounds reasonable.

Thanks,

Chris

8. pandlouk

You should check your firewall settings to see if you have NetReg.exe in you "allow" program list.

The connection attempt happens only once after the boot time or after you "log off/ log on" on your account.
    You are wellcome :)

Panagiotis

9. fce

fce Registered Member

i just check KIS rules application and my firewall allow netreg.exe :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.