hard drive problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi, during the last few days my harddrive is making tons of noise and im really worried. im not to paranoid with security, but if my harddrive makes tons of noise i really panic.

any tools I can run in windows to check the condition of it?

thanks in advance
    very worried lodore

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

run chkdsk through run, it will check the drive for bad clusters.

if its really rattling about, either a loose screw or it will break down in the next 48 hours or less.

if there is no screw loose, and it is LOUD, really rattling.. i suggest you back up what you can and hope for the worst.

ive had a few drives go on me, and when that loudness comes (its a big loudness, constant and very very noticable) ... it never goes.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i should point out that this is a very dusty house and i havent used my air duster inside the case for a while and gonna do that tomoorow.
    i ran a chkdisk last week and came out fine.

i just quickly used the air duster on the air vents on the side and now it is quieter. i will do a full dust tomorrow to be sure.

i really need to get watford electronics to give me a dang windows xp home disc!
    because if my hard drive did go and my images didnt work im stuffed.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

When you say rattling..., do you mean the stepper motor controlling the head stepping all about as though it can't find a decent read position? Or something else....

Blue

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im not quite sure. when i clean it all the dust tomorrow i will report back on this post.

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well...., in most of the cases I've experienced, the best way I can write it is as something like a "tick-tick-tick..." which seems to get stuck in loops for a bit...

Blue

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

The drive is airtight, but should the vents get clogged, this can cause the drive to get hot. Excess heat is its worst enemy. When you open the case to clean, make sure the fan which cools the drive is not obstructed.

Download the drive utility from drive manufacturer. Run it, should there be problems, their utility program can provide you with a diagnostic code for returning the drive under warranty.

When you open the case, look where the drive is positioned. Can the drive be moved up or down so there is an open slot both above and below the drive to improve the circulation.

Make sure you have a full backup on a different device. If the drive is faulty, it can go when you least expect it. Be prepared!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it cleaned the dust out today and it seems to be quieter.
    and the harddrive doesnt seem to be making any odd noises for now.

i think i will try to keep the thread open and to report on it.

9. GroverH

Good new but I would still recommend that you run the utility available from the manufacturer.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

do i have to run it outside windows thou?

my harddrive is maxtor but i cant find the utility on the site.

11. ravin

ravin Registered Member

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

13. ravin

ravin Registered Member

It's relatively simple to use. the download will create a diskette that you can use at bootup. accept the agree with which is F8 at each screen then the utility will detect your drive and you select it by pressing enter then you will be provided with options for testing your drive. I would select the option to do the advanced test. when it is finished it will tell you on the top right of the screen pass or an error code or drive is failing. Good Luck:D

14. GroverH

Ravin has good info above. If you prefer to work from a bootable CD:

Maxtor offers one diagnostic program via two methods.
    This file download will enable you to create a bootable CD
    ,,,,,, via downloading/burning an iso file.
    http://downloads.maxtor.com/downloads/_files/maxtor/en_us/downloads/PwrMx423En.iso

or; This file download will enable you to create a bootable floppy.
    http://downloads.maxtor.com/downloads/_files/maxtor/en_us/downloads/PwrMxEn.exe

Once you boot up using either the CD or floppy, the program is identical.
    • Program will search for and display the drives found.
      Choose the Maxtor drive.
      Choose the Advanced Test(Full Scan)
      Go do something else for a couple hours and let the test run until completed.
      Results will show a success pass or will provide a diagnostic code for possible replacement.
      After completion, choose the "select another drive option"
      Press F3 or ESC which will take you to the "A" prompt.
      Remove the CD or floppy and reboot.

The program menu also lists other test which can be data destructive.
      Do NOT run the burn test or low level format testings!!!!!!!

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats why i dont wanna run it because the last two options are dangerous lol.
    the thing is i can do tons of risky stuff on other people pc's but cant always on my own cos its my pc.

16. GroverH

I completed the testing on my Maxtor data drive in order to provide specific inistructions to you. There is minimal risk if you run the test using the instructions and simply run the advanced test. The only risk is when you run the wrong tests.

Of course, the choice is yours but if there is something wrong with the drive, it is better to find it within the warranty period.:)

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how long is the warranty period on Maxtor drives?

18. GroverH

Warranty period varies with was the drive sold at a retail store or within a computer, etc; there is no one specific period. It can be 30-90 days or most probably one year. You can visit the Maxtor site and click the warranty section where you can enter your drive type and serial number--both of which can be obtained from the drive label or from the diagnostic program mentioned above. Should you ever need to buy another drive, the Seagate warranty is 5 years.

https://www4.maxtor.com/en/support/service/rma/create/

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it came with the pc and my pc is 2years old on the 25th of december this year.

20. GroverH

The only real point I am trying to make is that your drive was making noises. These noises could indicate an approaching disk failure. Maxtor offers a utility which will check the health of the drive. If there is a problem with the drive, you need to know about it. Once the disaster strikes, then it could be too late.

My last comment is to again suggest you run the Maxtor diagnostic so you can confirm the good health or bad health of your drive.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok i might try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.