ERROR: xml parser error

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by isepiq, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. isepiq

isepiq Registered Member

I help disabled people with their comptures (free) around here as a hobby as I am a retired computer tech. I encourage all of them to buy ewido or get the free one & I put it on their comptures for them & set it up & show them how to use it.
    I have put Ewido 4.0 on over a dozen computers, some paid & some using the free version, & all of them work except 3. On these 3 computers when they try to do an auto or manual ONLINE update, they get this error message:

I managed to fix this on ONE computer by doing a repair install of Winows XP, but on these 3 that has not worked. Since I pretty much take care of all their computers, they all have the same security software etc. running on them.

I have googled this & have found a few others with this problem, but no answers.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thank you.

IMHO
    isepiq:cool:

2. karl.ewido

karl.ewido former ewido team

Please check if firewall software, VPN or other network related software are installed on these other computers.

3. isepiq

isepiq Registered Member

Yes, I always have them put free or buy safety programs to keep their computer protected:
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Sygate Firewall Pro OR Oupost Firewall
    McAfee Antivirus
    SpywareBlaster
    PestPatrol
    LavaSoft Adaware
    Norton AntiSpam

Again, on a dozen of these computers there is no problem with these programs installed, & one fixed with a repair install. Only 3 get the ERROR: xml parser error & nothing has fixed those 3 yet. Thank you.

IMHO

4. karl.ewido

If you use a firewall, please permit the traffic for the ewido file ewido.exe, so that this file has full access in both directions (incoming and outgoing) to the internet over port 80 and TCP.

Or if you close/deactivate these other security software that run in the background, do you still have the same problems?

You can also uninstall the ewido software by using the uninstall.exe in the installation folder of the ewido software, restart Windows and then reinstall it again (NOTE: After an uninstallation and reinstallation it is currently not possible to use again the trial version).

5. isepiq

isepiq Registered Member

Yes I have tried shutting down all other security software, even completely turning off the firewall (Sygate on one, Outpost on the other 2). Have made absolutely sure that Ewido has full firewall access. Made sure that XP built in firewall was turned off.
    My thought was that it was something corrupted in Windows XP MSxml Parser since ONE computer with this problem was fixed with an XP-Repair Install, but this did not work on the other 3.
    OR, is this error message one that says to you that Ewido is NOT getting through over the internet on these 3 computers?

Thank you for your help.

IMHO

P.S. 2 are curently using trials. They won't purchase until they can make it work on their individual computers, & the other is a paid subscription. Everyone else's computers are doing fine wether paid or trialo_O

6. karl.ewido

Please attach here the error.err and logfile.txt files from the ewido installation folder.

And if you uninstall these other security software, restart Windows, still the same problem?

7. isepiq

isepiq Registered Member

error.err & logfile.txt are both blank. Reproduced the error 3 times & checked, & both still blank. Have not tried a manual update yet to see if there is any nfo in those files. Will try that.

Yes, if I uninstall still the same problem.

Thank you.

IMHO

8. isepiq

isepiq Registered Member

Doing a lot of Googling, I see that other misc applications have this same exact error, but no fixes.
    1. Disable firewalls etc. No effect
    2. Err log etc. in Ewido folder is blank
    3. Uninstall/Reinstall: No effect
    4. Manual update works
    Online update still gives does not work:

Nothing shows up in Ewido logs.:cool:

9. isepiq

isepiq Registered Member

FIXED!!!

Problem: Norton AntiSpam

FIX: UNinstalled Norton AntiSpam

Ewido online & auto update work fine on all 3 computers now. NONE of the other computers had Norton AntiSpam on them except these 3. As of today, NONE of the computers I help take care of have ANY Symantec/Norton software on them at all!!!

You might want to try & find what the conflict is between Symantec/Norton AntiSpam & Ewido online/auto updateo_O:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.