very slow TI from xp client to server domain

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hireiiq, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hireiiq

hireiiq Registered Member

when we run TI from an XP client to backup on our SBS 2003 Server, it can take from 3-10 hours per client.
    we have tried TI, 7,8 and 9
    if we image to a local USB or networked USB device it takes 20 mins
    we have sent lots of info to Acronis Support but no joy
    we suspect a setting on the server is restricting the backup speed.
    all equipment is standard D530 and DL380 with gigabit network
    anyone have any ideas ?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hireiiq,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As far as I can understand, you have already reported this issue to Acronis Support Team via e-mail. Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which can be found in the subjects of the letters that you received from our Support Team? We will find out what more can be done in order to solve the problem you encounter.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. hireiiq

support [Acronis #534517]

4. jojoba

jojoba Registered Member

This is the same problem as I'm experiencing, although I thought it was normal until I cloned a partition disk to disk (which took 10 minutes for 10GB including verification).

I'm using TI9.1WS on a Windows XP SP2 on a 100Mbit network sending image to a Windows 2003 server. It takes approximately 18 hours to mirror backup a 52GB partition with 36GB data, no matter what kind of priority I set on the job.

I'm interested in what you find, and I'll give more details if you contact me.

Regards
    Per Gunnar Hansø
    Inbis AS

5. daveq

daveq Registered Member

I had the same problem it took 3 hours fro 10 g
    However, I have a bigger issue after the image was created I wanted to test the restore. So I made the bootable CD logged in to the network.
    I could see all the computers and folders. When I tried to get to the folder where the archive file was I was unable to access it.
    I don't know why.
    Please help
    thanks
    dave1

6. hireiiq

Dave,

we have not tested the restore process as the backup time is not acceptable for a production environment. Although it does not surprise me that you are unable to see you server from a DOS client. On the hopefully rare occasions that you need to restore I would suggest copying the image file off to an external usb hdd from your server then just doing a local restore.

7. Acronis Support

Hello hireiiq,

Please note that Support Engineer Oleg Yeremyanov is still working on this issue and will contact you with a possible workaround as soon as possible. We will highly appreciate if you wait for a few days more to let us complete the investigation.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  8. Acronis Support

Hello daveq and jojoba,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

daveq: Please note that when booted from removable media, RIS server or by Startup Recovery Manager, Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation may not detect the network. Such might be the case if there is no DHCP server in your network or your computer address was not identified automatically for some reason. To enable connection, specify network settings manually in the window, available at Tools -> Options -> Network adapters. Additional information can be found in Chapter 7.1.1 "Network settings in rescue mode" of the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User Guide.

As for the issue with slow image creation over the network:

Did you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows?

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please collect the information described at this post and submit a request for technical support. Please also attach the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

9. hireiiq

Oleg asked me to test a new release of 9.1 a week ago, both my AMPS and trial version have expired since reporting the problem hence I can't do anything. I have not heard from anyone at Acronis in the last week, Oleg's last email is below

-----Original Message-----
    From: Acronis Customer Service Department [mailto:corporate-support@acronis.com]
    Sent: Monday, 17 April 2006 7:53 PM
    To:
    Subject: [Acronis #534517] 9.1 Workstation runs slow

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for sending us the purchase confirmation.

We have forwarded your e-mail to the person who handles the requests for serial numbers and we will contact you shortly.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Oleg Yeremyanov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 115
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

10. Acronis Support

Hello hireiiq,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay with the response. I did have the responsible person pay attention to this issue. You will receive your upgrade serial numbers soon (within one working day most likely).

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

11. hireiiq

have tried the new 9.1 and it has not made any difference. we have done lots of other tests and everything points to a combination of RAID 5 on SBS 2003 using a 5i RAID card on a DL380 G4 and True Image. we are throwing the towel in any further investigation as we have wasted a lot of time on this already. here are out test results, this is the same image created from windows not the dos boot version of ti to different locations on our network. the image is 5.8GB compressed:
    to a USB IDE drive attached to our DL380 server - 73 mins
    to a Non RAID SCSI drive in our DL380 server - 71 mins
    to a RAID 5 SCSI connectted SATA array on a win2k pro machine -48 mins
    to a RAID 5 SCSI Drive in our DL380 - 342 mins
    native copy of tib from XP pro to RAID 5 drive in server - 7 mins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.