Drive Snapshot....Anyone tried it yet?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by BackUpMan, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BackUpMan

BackUpMan Guest

2. DunnoBut

DunnoBut Guest

Hi

I see there's a trial version. Is it complete, i.e. is it fully functional or is it only image creation and no restoring?

3. Global Force

Global Force Guest

C'mon Buck, give'um some link's. ;)

GF

4. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Whoop's! Think he's run off o_O :D Try here BackUpMan.

GF

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Sorry! Off playing Santa. Nearly midnight here. Merry Xmas! :D

6. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Pardon Buck, didn't mean to put'cha on the spot. :D A *MERRY X-MAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!* ;)

Me :D

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have Drive Snapshot and don't like it. The backup from windows is fine, but once you go to the recovery disk it is some really confusing command line stuff. I would recommend Terabytes Image for Windows or Image for DOS. I know have IFW and love it. ALso the recovery disk is easy to use.

Pete

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I tried DriveSnapshot but, as like Pete, I could not get the DOS recovery disc to do its job. Maybe it was just me, as the actual imaging process worked fine.

I would also suggest you try IFD or IFW. With the latter you need to download the free add-on utility PHY Lock.

IFW/IFD is the only backup program that I have used which consistently restores a snapshot/image.

Worth giving DS a chance though ;)

9. Peter2150

Hi Blackcat

Do you make your images from within Windows or use the DOS version from a floppy/CD.

Pete

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi Pete, I have used both but I generally use IFD ;)

11. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

With Blackcat and Pete, I highly recommend IFD and IFW. I also use Bootit NG, the partitioning, imaging and boot manager program. I image from Windows usually and IFW is the simplest and most reliable program I have used form imaging along with Bootit. And, I have not used IFD yet but it is ready when needed.

Too many imaging programs promise to do too much and miserabbly fail but these products do exactly what they promise and with very little flashy interface and unneeded features. I love these programs.

Gary

12. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

It's great to see positive posts on BootIt NG/IFW/IFD ! I just canned Acronis TI in favor of Terabyte's software. If ATI gets straightened out, I can use it again on one of my other three machines but I needed a new imaging program for now and Fred Langa always recommends BootIt NG and IFW/IFD.

What with the holidays and all, I've been preoccupied but, once SWMBO and I get over the hump with the kids tomorrow, I have 8 more days free from work and will be able to get this new software in place.:cool:

Happy holidays to everyone !

13. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

I know there are several threads going that more or less relate to BootIt NG/IFW/IFD, but this one seemed as appropriate to jump in as any, so here's my take on these latter two products. After having tried several other similar products this past week, I concluded that for me, IFW/IFD beats em all hands down.

To begin with, it flat out works; and it works consistently well, both in creating and restoring images. It's also extremely fast - even in the "validate bit by bit" mode. And ALL of its functions work, including burning directly to a CD or DVD, although it obviously takes longer doing it that way than burning to a partition, since the DVD writer is nowhere near as fast as a HDD. But at least the result is a bootable rescue disc that doesn't need to go through the iso/burn to bootable disc stage -- it comes out ready to rock 'n roll!

(The only thing I had to figure out when using IFD to restore the image made with IFW was how to use the "tab" key to get to the section where the backup image files were listed so I could highlight the one I wanted and have it automatically entered into the selection box. It had the DOS shortened names of the files, and I didn't have the full file names written down. Plus, I wasn't sure if it was okay to type in the shortened names with the ~ in them or not. But once I figured out that by hitting the "tab" button, it moved the highlight down into the section with the file names, I then just arrow-keyed to the file I wanted and hit "enter" and was on my way.

Second, just look at the "change log" for this product: it's extremely well supported and has been, dating back to its inception. Every month or so new hardware and/or other relevant changes are added so it can remain functional despite the changing hardware landscape. That's the way to run an airline, IMHO.

Third, it's relatively straightforward to use, although I did have a question initially about how to set the "write MBR code" option in the restore mode. However, after deciding to go ahead and try a system restore from within Windows, I soon - and safely -- discovered that it's not possible. So I whipped out the trusty IFD disc, ran that, and within a couple of minutes had a 100% successfully restored image. In the IFD mode, the "write MBR code" wasn't an option, so I didn't that resolved that question automatically.

Fourth: Look at the price: $26.98. That's almost half of what the nearest competitor charges.

Fifth: (See "To Begin With") ;)

I would like to thank everybody who pointed out the virtues of IFW/IFD. This has been a nightmarish week for me after having discovered that the program that I'd been using for 5 years as a safety net - Power Quest Drive Image 2002 - didn't work on my brand new computer. I was really at a loss. And so now that I've found IFW/IFD, I feel as if a big load has been lifted. Two big :thumb: :thumb: for Terabyte and the members here at WSF!!

14. Peter2150

HI Skbaltimare

According to Terabyte when you restore with IFD, it puts back an original MBR, unless you use one of their freebies.

But Dallen's test of IFD with FDISR(see leapfrog forum) suggested that IFD put back the MBR, the way it was when the image was taken.

Pete

15. skbaltimore

1. I'm not familiar with the "freebies" you mentioned. Are you talking about the plug-in for Bart's PE?
    2. What/where is the "leapfrog forum"?

16. Peter2150

Free utility is one of Terabyte's utilities ImageAll

LeapFrog forum is here on Wilders. Discussion is about First Defense-ISR

Pete

17. skbaltimore

OK, thanks, Peter. I've been reading through that thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.