View Full Version : 100% CPU Usage with ZA PRO?
April 10th, 2002, 08:16 PM
First, let me say, I'm glad to have found this place, great forum guy's. Now to my quick question.
Has anyone that use's ZA, noticed 100% cpu usage? I had the very latest version of ZA installed, and had been noticing that my machine was running slow. So I check my resource setup, and found that problem. Reboot's did not work, but a un-install did. This has happend to both my XP and ME machine. Is this a problem with ZA, or did I not do something write when version 3.0 came out?
April 10th, 2002, 08:54 PM
* * * * * I have never experienced the problem you mention.......nor have heard of it happening prior to this.
....strange that this would happen on two differant computers......but in so doing appears to eliminate it being a os problem.
* * * * was this a new install (never installed za before)
or did you *un-install an older version and re-install a new version?? * un-installs have been well known to cause problems when not done correctly........
* * * * have you tryed un-installing za "completely" then re-booting and re-installing? * if you had a corrupt install this may help.
April 10th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Hey Snowman, this is on a completely new install...
If I disable Zone Alarm, then were okay, but if it's running, 100 is the magic number... I have no idea what this is....
Will through un-install it, as per the Zone Labs site, and then try a new re-install, to see if that helps.......
April 10th, 2002, 11:06 PM
* * * * *N
* * *
* * * * when You un-installed za....did you make absolutely certain that TRUE VECTOR was un-installed. first....then re-boot...an then un-installed ZA??
* * * *this is an absolute! * many za users do not notice the need to follow these steps.....an have problems....get disgusted..etc. * * its a commonly made mistake. * * *an if the first install was corrupt....an wasn't un-installed properly...my guess is that the second install would be corrupt also.
April 20th, 2002, 01:40 AM
I fixed the problem.. Seems as though on some installs, certain *.dll files were not being copied correctly... This caused a memory leak, and bumped the CPU up.. ZA sent me a fix for it, and now I'm good...... Thanks......
April 20th, 2002, 07:51 AM
First a (little bit late) welcome to the forum!
I'm glad ZoneLabs could fix your problem *:)
I have to admit that the problem with the not correctly copied .dll files is new for me; thanks for telling us ! *:)
April 24th, 2002, 07:38 PM
My first time too ;D
For me the cpu usage starts of fine, and then vsmon.exe slowly starts to creap up in usage (Along with my CPU temp :-/)
Version 3.00.81 was fine, it all started following the upgrade to 3.0.118 (AFAIK I did a "Clean" install).
Is this fixable, or is it time to run Ghost again?
May 7th, 2002, 05:17 PM
I'm not a critic of ZA by any means, having v 2.6.362 right now. *I have Pro3 but won't load it. *Seems over the past month or so, all I hear around forum communities are a continuous flow of necessary tweaks here, a conflict there, a vulnerability here, download problem there, etc., etc.. *It seems in an attempt to satisfy the many configurability and feature attributes users seem to feel they need, Zone Labs has taken a pretty bullet-proof product and perhaps released its improvement a bit too early. *Probably not always the program - but ability to accomodate varied platforms. * *
For those unsure, I've recommended 2.6.262 to others with varied platforms, along with my own XP, and can say without reservation that when subjected to very intense testing (including all 65k+ ports) it passes muster on all of them, including leak-related issues. *For the other features sought, it seems some of the simpler supplemental programs (though seperate from ZA) that serve many of the same goals the new ZA now seeks do so with no conflict - and I might add more thoroughly in themselves - creating a very stable and highly secure environment.
I'm all for progress, but perhaps until things adjust out, a viable option that shouldn't be overlooked in any game is returning to the basics. * Regards, Dinkster * * ;)
May 8th, 2002, 02:02 AM
:Dsnow man i they ever goint to make a full clean unintall utlity for za?
as a newby i fount it insaine to do it right it was a long process.
also the free verstion of za needs a seriouse update i bought zap because za free was so great at the time that and the guys at wilders convinced me lol took awhile to get the funds but it was worth it.
how ever the way free za stands now its kind not so great.
its relly out dated looking.
so how will you attract new customers.
i was atracted to zap cause of the free copy and how will it worked.
now with new updated trial fire walls it like yuk.
im not saying go all out just *some kind of update.
but you guys relly to make aza clean up utlity ;D
May 8th, 2002, 04:25 AM
* * * *MrBlase
* * * *its questionable that zonelabs would ever provide a full screen un-install.....it certainly would be a good idea.....
* * * *actually imo zone alarm is very easy to un-install...just a matter of un-checking "load zone alarm at start-up" an re-boot..then un-install..........an if you really want to go that extra step...truevector can be un-checked in msconfig "start-up"
* * * *alot of negetive comments are made about zone alarm...but how may times have you seen someone say that zone alarm was hacked? * not many..if any. * This is not to say that its the very best firewall made.......a fine rule based firewall when properly set-up is hard to beat.......but zone alarm is an application firewall an holds its own against any other application based firewall.
* * * *what I notice most of all is that many users either don't know what to allow access to the internet and what to allow to act as a server........an secondly many users don't want to be bothered clicking on the pop-up thats asks to allow or not allow.....imo these are not a firewall problem but a user problem. *
* * * * ZAP is buggy...its been since day one....an if zonelabs wants to keep its market...it will need to be corrected as soon as possible. * * as for the 100% cpu useage...the question I have to ask myself is why isn't it happening with every user of ZA using the same os as the one using 100% cpu ?/// * an since that isn't the case.......there has to be a conflict somewhere.....a corrupt install or some reason like that......my guess.
* * * MrBlase I know you had to save to purchase ZA.....an if its providing you with the firewall protection that you personally need.......why worry how it looks....its better than looking at a black screen after being hacked..........LOL
* * * an now...lets see how many flames I get for this post...LOl
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * snowman
May 8th, 2002, 04:31 AM
* * * *MrBlase
* * * *I just realized that you may be thinking I am with zonelabs......no *no no! * * *I did use ZA for several years but other than that.......nothing else
I have no association with zonelabs......but if I did you would get a brand new looking...slick look with ZA
* * * * * * * * * * * * *snowman
May 9th, 2002, 02:58 AM
=) im blushing lol thanks so much for the feed back snowman
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2013, Wilders Security Forums